2017 Dodge Charger Overview
In a world full of bland sedans, the 2017 Dodge Charger stands out thanks to its aggressive styling and powerful engine options. This four-door sedan was Dodge’s best-selling car in 2016 with 95,437 units moved and the company is trying to eclipse six figures this year by offering two new trims. Besides offering eye-catching good looks and plenty of horsepower, the Dodge Charger also offers a spacious and comfortable interior that is loaded with easy-to-use tech equipment. The 2017 Charger carries a starting MSRP of $27,995.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Dodge Charger?
For 2017, FCA has updated the Charger’s Uconnect infotainment system, making it both more intuitive and responsive. This system is also now compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Other notable updates include the addition of Charger Daytona and Daytona 392 models. These new trims come with a Satin Black hood graphic featuring the HEMI logo, as well as Daytona deck-lids that added even more style.
2017 Dodge Charger Photos:
2017 Dodge Charger Exterior
Bold, muscular, and athletic are just three of the many adjectives that could be used to describe the Charger’s outward appearance. This bold sedan was refreshed for the 2015 model year with a new grille design and rounder front headlights. However, the car’s design has not changed much since then. The 2017 Charger comes standard with an eye-catching dual exhaust system, 17-inch aluminum wheels, and halogen projector headlamps. Higher trims levels offer larger rims, HID headlights, and a performance exhaust system. Exterior color options include TorRed Clear Coat, Go Mango, and Redline 3K, just to name of a few of its available hues.
2017 Dodge Charger Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SE
- 17-inch x 7.0-inch painted cast aluminum wheels, P215/65R17 low rolling resistance tires, Body-color exterior mirrors, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, LED daytime running lamps, Gloss black grille/Satin chrome crosshairs, Dual rear exhaust, Black headlamp bezels, Bi-function halogen projector headlamps, “Charger” badge
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SXT
- Adds to or replaces features on SE: SXT” badge, Gloss black grille/Gloss black crosshairs, LED fog lamps, 18-inch x 7.5-inch cast aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger R/T
- Adds to or replaces features on SXT: “HEMI” fender badges, “R/T” badge, active exhaust, Firestone brand tires, Sport suspension, 20-inch x 8.0-inch premium painted aluminum wheels, Rhombi 2-piece wheel center cap
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger Daytona
- Adds to or replaces features on R/T: Performance exhaust, Black grille, Body-color fascias, Cold air intake system by Mopar®, Daytona decals, Daytona front grille badge, Daytona I/P badge, Functional hood scoop, Goodyear® brand tires, Performance suspension, Projector LED fog lamps, Satin Black Charger deck-lid badge, Satin Black one-piece performance spoiler, Driver’s auto-dimming exterior mirror, 20-inch x 9-inch Hyper Black II forged aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
- Adds to or replaces features on Daytona: “Powered by SRT” engine cover, “R/T” heritage badge, “SRT” grille badge, Bilstein® high-performance suspension, Brembo® 4-piston high-performance brakes, Center high-mount stop lamp, Red brake calipers, 20-inch x 9.0-inch aluminum machined face/Satin Black
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
- Adds to or replaces features on R/T Scat Pack: 392 fender decal, Black brake calipers, Brembo® 6-piston high-performance brakes with ABS, Cold air intake system by Mopar®, Daytona decals, Daytona front grille badge, Daytona I/P badge, Pirelli brand tires, Auto adjust-in-reverse exterior mirrors, 20-inch x 9.5-inch forged/painted aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SRT 392
- Adds to or replaces features on Daytona 392: Bi-function HID projector headlamps, Rear body-color spoiler, SRT® performance pages, Exterior mirrors with courtesy lamps, 20-inch x 9.5-inch SRT® Hyper Black forged wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
- Adds to or replaces features on SRT 392: SRT® Hellcat exterior badges, 20-inch x 9.5-inch SRT® Low Gloss Black performance wheels
2017 Dodge Charger Performance
The 2017 Dodge Charger comes standard with a 3.6-liter Penstastar V6 engine that cranks out 292 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. While that engine should provide enough thrust for most people, there are also three V8 engines offered with the Charger. By stepping up to the R/T trim, you’ll get a 5.7-liter HEMI V8 good for 370 ponies and 395 lb-ft of torque, but if that’s still not enough power, the R/T Scat Pack and Dayton 392 models comes with an even larger 6.4-liter HEMI V8 that cranks out 485 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque. Last of all, the range-topping SRT Hellcat boasts a supercharged V8 rated at 707 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque. It should be noted that the V6 engine can be had with either rear-wheel or all-wheel drive, while Chargers with the V8 motors are strictly RWD.
2017 Dodge Charger Efficiency
Because the Dodge Charger sedan is so well-known for its performance prowess, it might surprise people that the 2017 Charger earns EPA-estimated fuel economy of up to 19 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. That applies to 2017 Chargers with the V6 engine and rear-wheel drive. Opting for the all-wheel drive system will bring fuel economy down to 18 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway. Consumers who opt for a Charger with the 5.7-liter V8 will be spending more time at the pump, as that engine provides EPA-estimated fuel economy of 15 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway. The other two V8 motors with more horsepower are less fuel-efficient.
2017 Dodge Charger Interior
The inside of the 2017 Dodge Charger is spacious and comes with generous standard features such as a leather-wrapped steering wheel, air conditioning, and touchscreen audio system. Buyers who go for the SXT trim or higher will also get the updated Uconnect 8.4-inch infotainment system, which the driver or passengers can use to stream music, access maps, or make hands-free phone calls. What’s more, the UConnect system is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for 2017. This gives people the ability to integrate their smarthones with the Charger’s advanced infotainment system. It’s also worth mentioning the Charger’s trunk provides more than 16-cubic feet of storage space.
2017 Dodge Charger Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SE
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls, Air conditioning with dual zone temperature control, Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors, Rear 60/40 folding seat, Non-adjustable pedals, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Illuminated front cup holders, Front passenger seat belt alert, Custom defined color display monitor, Dark Brushed II interior accents, Cargo net, 140-mph primary speedometer, Uconnect® 5.0 sound system, 6 Speakers, Media hub (SD/USB/Aux), Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth®, 5.0-Inch touchscreen display, Dual remote USB port – charge-only, Tire pressure monitoring display
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SXT
- Adds to or replaces features on SE: Hectic mesh interior accents, Humidity sensor, Heated front seats, Power 4-way driver lumbar adjust, Auto-dimming rear view mirror, 1-Year SiriusXM Radio Service, Universal garage door opener, 2-piece shark fin antenna, 8.4-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay® capable, Google Android Auto™ capable, GPS antenna input, HD® Radio, Integrated center stack radio, Media hub (2 USB/Aux), 6 premium speakers, 276-Watt Amplifier, Uconnect® 8.4 sound system
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger R/T
- Adds to or replaces features on SXT: 160-MPH primary speedometer, Delete spare tire, Steering wheel mounted shift control
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger Daytona
- Adds to or replaces features on R/T: Black-edged premium floor mats, Bright pedals, Carbonite interior accents, Driver/Passenger power 4-way lumbar adjust, Driver and passenger lower LED lamps, Heated steering wheel, Illuminated rear cup holders, Leather trim seats, Leather-wrapped performance steering wheel, Rear seat armrest with storage cup holder, Ventilated front seats, Daytona performance suede/leather seats, Heated second-row seats, 3-mode electronic stability control, Memory for radio/driver seat/mirrors, ParkSense® Rear Park Assist System
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
- Adds to or replaces features on Daytona: 12-volt center console power uutlet, 180-MPH primary speedometer, Front/rear climate control outlets, Glove box lamp, Illuminated rear assist handles, Humidity sensor, ParkView™ rear back-up camera
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
- Adds to or replaces features on R/T Scat Pack: Black-edged premium floor mats, Carbonite interior accents, Power tilt/telescope steering column, Daytona performance suede/leather seats
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SRT 392
- Adds to or replaces features on Daytona 392: Passenger assist handles, 5-Year SiriusXM Traffic™ Service, 5-Year SiriusXM Travel Link Service, Blind spot and cross path detection, GPS navigation, Power accessory delay, Remote start system, Power heated memory mirror w/blind spot indicator, Uconnect® 8.4 NAV
Interior available on the 2017 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
- Adds to or replaces features on SRT 392: 200-MPH primary speedometer, Dark engine turned aluminum interior accents
2017 Dodge Charger Safety
Every 2017 Dodge Charger comes standard with stability and traction control, anti-lock brakes, and multiple airbags. In addition, higher level trims offer more advanced safety equipment like a rearview camera, rear park assist, rear cross-traffic alert, and blind-spot monitors. These safety features helped the ‘17 Charger earn the highest possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. However, the 2017 Dodge Charger failed to earn a Top Safety Pick rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This is because the Charger sedan earned a “Marginal” rating in the small-overlap test.
Standard Safety Features
- Advanced multistage front airbags
- Center rear 3-point seat belt
- Child seat upper tether anchorages
- Height-adjustable front shoulder belts
- Speed sensitive power locks
- Supplemental front seat-mounted side airbags
- Supplemental side-curtain front and rear airbags
- Sentry Key® theft deterrent system
- Rear door child protection locks
- Electronic stability control
- Electronic roll mitigation
- Anti-lock 4-wheel disc brakes
- All speed traction control
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.