2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Overview
First came the sedan, then came the coupe, and now we finally have the Honda Civic Hatchback. This new model is based on the tenth-generation Honda Civic Sedan, which was completely redesigned for the 2016 model year. The Civic Hatchback is a perfect example of Honda’s all-around approach to making its vehicles. The Civic Hatch has a roomy interior, attractive exterior design, respectable fuel efficiency, and also comes standard with a turbocharged engine. The Civic Hatchback competes with vehicles such as the Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, and Kia Forte.
Most Reliable Cars On The Road: Did the new Honda Civic Hatchback make the list?
What’s New for the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback?
The Civic Hatchback is all-new for the 2017 model year. This vehicle offers an abundance of cargo space, top-notch safety features, and Honda’s reputation for reliability. The 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback comes in five trims: LX, Sport, EX, EX-L NAVI, and Sport Touring.
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Photos:
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Exterior
The 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback comes with a sporty and sleek exterior that’s highlighted by its athletic rear spoiler and muscular body lines. The hatch model is approximately four inches shorter than the sedan variant. This is because the Civic Hatchback was designed to navigate the crowded city streets of Europe. In fact, the 2017 Civic Hatchback is built in Swindon, England and then exported to the United States. The Civic Hatchback comes standard with LED brake lights and 16-inch alloy wheels, but larger 18-inch alloys and LED headlights can be found on higher trim levels.
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
- 16-inch alloy wheels, 215/55/R16 93H all-season tires, Projector-beam halogen headlights with auto-on/of, Body-colored door handles, Body-colored power side mirrors, One-touch turn signals, LED brake lights, Body-colored rear roofline spoiler, Fin-type roof-mounted antenna
Exterior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
- Adds to or replaces features on LX: 18-inch alloy wheels, 235/40/R18 91W all-season tires, Fog lights, Underbody spoiler kit, Center outlet dual exhaust system
Exterior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
- Adds to or replaces features on Sport: 17-inch alloy wheels, 215/50/R17 91H all-season tires, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Heated body-colored power side mirrors, Smart entry
Exterior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L NAVI
- Adds to or replaces features on EX: 17-inch Alloy wheels, 215/50/R17 91H all-season tires
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Performance
Every 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback comes standard with a 1.5-liter turbocharged engine that’s rated at 174 horsepower and 167 lb-ft of torque when paired with the six-speed manual transmission. Torque drops to 162 lb-ft when the available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is paired with the turbo motor. In comparison, the Sport and Sport Touring trims offer up to 180 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. That’s because those two models come standard with sporty dual exhaust systems.
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Efficiency
There aren’t too many gasoline-powered cars that can match the Civic’s strong fuel efficiency ratings. When equipped with the turbo-four and CVT, the new Civic Hatchback yields an EPA-estimated 31 mpg in the city, 40 mpg on the highway, and 34 mpg combined. The combined rating drops slightly to 33 mpg when the buyer opts for the standard manual gearbox. Even the Sport model with its eye-catching dual exhaust system yields up to 36 mpg on the highway. A 12.4-gallon fuel tank comes standard on the new Civic Hatchback.
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Interior
Thanks to its unique design, the interior of the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback is more spacious than some people give it credit for. There are 39.3 inches of headroom and 42.3 inches of legroom available up front, while rear passengers still receive ample amounts of space to rest comfortably. The Civic Hatchback comes standard with a 160-watt audio system with 4 speakers, automatic climate control, and a rearview camera. Higher trim levels offer more luxurious equipment like a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a one-touch power moonroof, and 7-inch touchscreen that’s compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. In addition, the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback provides 25.7 cubic feet of storage space behind the rear seats. That number jumps to 46.2 cubic feet of cargo room when the rear seats are folded downward.
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
- Automatic climate control, Illuminated steering wheel-mounted controls, Sliding sunvisors, Door-pocket storage bins (front/rear), Headlights-on reminder, LED pocket light, Map lights, Rear-seat heater ducts, Floor mats, 12-volt power outlet, 60/40 split fold-won rear seatback, Driver’s seat with manual height adjustment, Security system with remote entry and trunk release, SMS text message function, Radio Data System (RDS), Speed-Sensitive Volume Control (SVC), Front charging port, 160-watt audio system with 4 speakers, 5-inch color LCD screen, Trip computer, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink, Bluetooth® streaming audio, Pandora® compatibility
Interior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
- Adds to or replaces features on LX: Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Rear beverage holders, Rear-seat center armrest, Textured aluminum pedals, Average fuel economy indicators, Digital speedometer, Exterior temperature indicator, Instant fuel economy indicator, Maintenance Minder™ System, Miles-to-empty indicator, Odometer and trip meters
Interior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
- Adds to or replaces features on Sport: Passenger-side seatback pocket, Push button start, Dual-zone climate control system, One-touch power moonroof, Remote engine start, Center console 1.0-amp charging port, 180-watt audio system with 8 speakers, 7-Inch display audio with high-resolution WVGA (800×480) electrostatic touch-screen and customizable feature settings, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, HondaLink®, SiriusXM® Radio, HD Radio™, Smart entry system indicator, Honda LaneWatch™
Interior available on the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L NAVI
- Adds to or replaces features on EX: Leather-trimmed interior, Heated front seats, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, 8-way power driver’s seat, Turn-by-turn directions, Compass, Satellite-linked navigation system, Honda HD Digital Traffic and Song By Voice® (SBV)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Safety
The 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback earned the best possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Every 2017 Civic Hatchback comes standard with vehicle stability assist with traction control, a rearview camera, multiple airbags, and antilock brakes. Also, for the 2017 model year, the company is making the equipment from its Honda Sensing package available to all trim levels. This package includes adaptive cruise control, automated emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, and forward collision warning.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA® with Traction Control
- Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
- Brake assist
- Multi-angle rearview camera with guidelines
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™
- (ACE™) body structure
- Dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags (SRS)
- Front 3-point seat belts with automatic tensioning system
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH)
- Lower anchors (2nd-row outboard)
- Tether anchors (2nd-row all)
- Driver’s and front passenger’s seat-belt reminder
- SmartVent® front side airbags
Caring For Your Honda: Find out how often a Honda Civic needs its oil changed