2017 Jeep Compass Overview
If you love the Jeep brand, but don’t have a ton of money to spend, the 2017 Jeep Compass is a great way to break into the brand’s lineup. This affordable compact crossover has Jeep’s good-looks and above-average off-road capability that makes it extremely appealing. While it might be on its way out of the segment—Jeep is replacing it and the Patriot in early 2017—the Compass still has a bit of life left in it.
Celebrate Jeep: See what the Jeep brand has to offer
What’s New for the 2017 Jeep Compass
Because Jeep is planning on replacing the 2017 Compass and Patriot models with a brand-new compact crossover, this model has seen no new changes for this model year.
The 2017 Jeep Compass is offered in five trim levels: Sport, Sport SE, Latitude, High Altitude, and 75th Anniversary Edition. Each trim is offered with front-wheel drive (FWD) or four-wheel drive (4WD).
2017 Jeep Compass Photos:
2017 Jeep Compass Exterior
The 2017 Compass has the dashing good looks of the Jeep Grand Cherokee without the large size or price tag. Its front end features Jeep’s signature seven-slot grill, while all the trims have chrome accents, which add a nice touch of class to the compact crossover. Aggressive lines and the rounded hood make for a hardy-looking exterior that is sure to appeal to all Jeep lovers.
2017 Jeep Compass Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Sport:
- 16-inch wheels, Compact spare tire, P205/70R16 all-season tires, Halogen headlamps, Premium fog lamps, Black headlamp bezels, Body-color fascia, Body-color with chrome accent grille, Deep tint sunscreen glass, Fixed long mast antenna, Liftgate door with fixed glass, Rear window defroster, Rear window wiper/washer, Solar control glass, Variable intermittent windshield wipers
Exterior available on the Sport SE:
- 18-inch aluminum painted pocket wheels, P215/55R18 BSW all-season performance tires, Bright exhaust tip
Exterior available on the Latitude:
- 16-inch wheels, P205/70R16 all-season tires, Automatic headlamps, Body-color door handles, Body-color exterior mirrors, Body-color liftgate appliqué, Bright grille, Power heated mirrors with manual fold-away
Exterior available on the High Altitude:
- 17-inch granite painted pocket wheels, P215/60R17 BSW all-season touring tires, Bright exhaust tip, Bright side roof rails
Exterior available on the 75th Anniversary Edition:
- 18-inch bronze aluminum wheels, P215-55R18 BSW all-season performance tires
2017 Jeep Compass Performance
The standard 2017 Compass powertrain is a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that pumps out 158 horsepower and 141 lb-ft of torque. This option comes standard with a five-speed manual, though a continuously variable transmission comes with the Latitude trim level when it’s outfitted with the 2.0-liter engine. Every 2.0-liter model comes with front-wheel drive.
Another engine option is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which produces a hardy 172 horsepower and 164 lb-ft of torque. For this engine, front-wheel drive is optional and all-wheel drive is standard. A five-speed manual comes with the Sport trim level, but all other trims come with a six-speed automatic transmission.
2017 Jeep Compass Efficiency
When equipped with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and the five-speed manual, the Compass gets an EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 23 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder with the six-speed automatic comes in with a 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway fuel economy rating. These numbers aren’t the greatest in the compact crossover segment, but they also aren’t the worst.
2017 Jeep Compass Interior
While the Compass’s interior is full of hard plastic, it still has an aesthetically pleasing style that will appeal to consumers that love Jeeps. It has a practical setup with easy-to-use gauges and a driver-friendly Driver Information Display that is sure to keep your attention. The front seats are comfortable enough for long drives, while the optional 6.5-inch touchscreen offers an easy way to stay connected through the Fiat Chrysler Uconnect user interface. Optional features like speakers that flip down and raise up from the raised liftgate make the Compass perfect for those who like to head out for a good time. Maximum cargo space for the Compass is 53.6 cubic feet, which is a bit small for its class.
2017 Jeep Compass Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Sport:
- Height-adjustable front shoulder belts, Premium cloth bucket seats, Rear 60/40 folding seat, Rear seat heat ducts, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet, Acoustic windshield, Air conditioning, Air filtering, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with microphone, Bright interior accents, Flat load floor storage, Full-length floor console, Illuminated cup holders, Instrument cluster with tachometer, Luxury front and rear floor mats, Map/dome reading lamps, Outside temperature display in odometer, Passenger assist handles, Power accessory delay, Sliding armrest, Sliding sun visors with mirrors, Tilt steering column, Front dome lamp
- Four speakers, Audio jack input for mobile devices, Radio 130, Remote USB port, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with one-year radio subscription, Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth®
Interior available on the Sport SE:
- Cloth/vinyl low-back bucket seats, Driver seat height adjuster, Heated front seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
Interior available on the Latitude:
- Rear 60/40 split fold and recline seat, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, Power windows with driver’s one-touch-down feature, Silver interior accents, Speed-sensitive power door locks, Tip start, Illuminated entry, Keyless entry
Interior available on the High Altitude:
- Leather-trimmed bucket seats, Manual driver lumbar adjust, Power six-way driver seat, Power express open/close sunroof
Interior available on the 75th Anniversary Edition:
- Ombre mesh bucket seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Power express open/close sunroof
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
2017 Jeep Compass Safety
The 2017 Jeep Compass doesn’t have the greatest safety ratings, receiving three stars out of a possible five in the government’s front-impact crash safety tests. It did earn four stars out of five in the rollover testing, though. The overall safety score for the Compass has yet to be determined.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Front passenger seatbelt alert
- Tire Pressure Monitor with warning lamp
- Active head restraints
- Advanced multistage front airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags, and side-curtain front airbags
- Electronic roll mitigation
- Electronic stability control
- Hill Start Assist
- Sentry Key® theft deterrent system Speed control
Get Fall Ready: Find out how to prepare your car for fall