2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overview
If you are looking for a two-row mid-size SUV that is just as home off-road as it is on, look no further—the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the perfect vehicle for you. This Jeep model has a laundry list of features that sets it apart from the rest of the mid-size SUV segment. From its three engine options to its luxurious interior—even on the base trim—to its off-road capabilities, the 2017 Grand Cherokee is a great all-around vehicle.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
For the 2017 model year, the Jeep Grand Cherokee now has a Trailhawk model with an extra off-road kit. The Summit trim level has a few styling changes compared to the 2016 Grand Cherokee and new interior features. Other new available features include self-parking and lane departure systems.
The 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee is available in nine trims: Laredo, Laredo E, 75th Anniversary Edition, Limited, Limited 75th Anniversary Edition, Trailhawk, Overland, Summit, and SRT.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Photos:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exterior
When it comes to style, the 2017 Grand Cherokee doesn’t skimp. With the exception of the Wrangler, this mid-size SUV is likely the most recognizable vehicle in the brand’s lineup. It has a wide stance that makes it perfect on road or off, while its angular lines and soft curves create a muscular, yet sleek silhouette. The Grand Cherokee’s front end is pure Jeep with the brand’s characteristic seven-slot grill, adding to the SUVs off-roading appeal. Depending on the trim level chosen exterior features will vary, but there is no denying that—no matter what trim level you choose—it is ready to head off the beaten path.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Laredo:
- 17-inch x 8.0-inch aluminum wheels, Compact spare tire, P245 / 70R17 BSW On / Off-Road Tires, Automatic headlamps, Halogen Quad Headlamps, LED tail lamps, Low beam daytime running headlamps, Premium fog lamps, Body-color door handles, Body-color exterior mirrors, Body-color fascias, Heated exterior mirrors, Power locking fuel filler door, Rear window defroster, Black claddings
Exterior available on the Laredo E:
- Bright side roof rails
Exterior available on the 75th Anniversary Edition:
- 18-inch x 8.0-inch wheels, 265 / 60R18 BSW All Season LRR Tires, Accent color roof rails, Rear window defroster delete, Black claddings delete, Body-color grille with bronze accent, Jeep bronze badging
Exterior available on the Limited:
- 18-inch x 8-inch gray aluminum wheels, Bright door handles, Bright grille, Bright side roof rails, Chrome exterior mirrors, Driver’s auto-dimming exterior mirror, Body-color fascias delete, Body-color door handles delete, Rear window defroster, Black cladding, Jeep bronze badging delete
Exterior available on the Limited 75th Anniversary Edition:
- Driver’s auto-dimming exterior mirror delete, 20-inch x 8.0-inch wheels, 265 / 50R20 BSW All Season LRR Tires, Body color door handles and exterior mirrors, Body color fascias, Accent color roof rails, Body-color claddings, Body-color grille with bronze accent, Jeep bronze badging
Exterior available on the Trailhawk:
- Body-color grille with bronze accent delete, Jeep bronze badging delete, 18-inch x 8.0-inch off road aluminum wheels, Full-size spare tire, Body-color exterior mirrors delete, Neutral gray roof rack
Exterior available on the Overland:
- 20-inch x 8.0-inch tech gray aluminum wheels, Automatic Headlamp Leveling System, Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control, Bi-Xenon HID headlamps, LED fog lamps, Bright door handles. Bright side roof rails, Body color fascias delete, Exterior mirrors with courtesy lamps, 265 / 60R18 BSW All Season All Terrain Tires, LED daytime running headlamps, Neutral gray roof rack delete
Exterior available on the Summit:
- 20-inch x 8.0-inch fully polished aluminum wheels, 265 / 50R20 All Season Performance Tires, Body-color grille with chrome inserts, LED fog lamps delete, Premium accent claddings
Exterior available on the SRT:
- 20-inch x 10-inch forged 5-spoke polished wheels, 295 / 45ZR20 BSW All Season Tires, Body-color exterior mirrors, Exterior mirrors with courtesy lamps delete, Black lens tail lamps, Premium accent claddings delete, SRT® Black Sill with Platinum Chrome
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Performance
The power of the Jeep Grand Cherokee varies depending on the trim level chosen. A 3.6 Pentastar V6 engine comes standard on every trim level, churning out 295 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. This is the only engine available on the Laredo and Laredo E trim level, but the remaining trim levels come available with two additional engines: a 5.7-liter V8 and a turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V6. The V8 engine makes 360 horsepower and 390 lb-ft of torque, while the diesel engine produces 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.
All Jeep models come standard with rear-wheel drive with the exception of the Trailhawk trim, which comes with Quadra-Drive II. This is a four-wheel-drive system that has an electronic limited-slip rear differential and low-range gearing, which is perfect for off-roading. There are also two other 4WD systems. The first is the Quadra-Trac I, which is only available on the Laredo, and the Quadra-Trac II, which is available on the Laredo, Limited, Overland, and Summit.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 3.6-liter V6 engine comes in at 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway when equipped with the rear-wheel drive. The fuel economy rating on the Trailhawk, which is equipped with a four-wheel-drive system and the V6 engine, is 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior
The Grand Cherokee might be built for off-roading, but its interior doesn’t reflect this. Rather than being bare with hard plastic on the lower levels, it offers consumers luxury and an upscale look. There is even an optional 8.4-touchscreen with Jeep’s Uconnect infotainment system, which has an easy-to-use interface and a WiFi hotspot that keeps you connected while you’re out on the road. In the cabin, space is abundance for up to five passengers. As the trim levels increase, the luxury features increase, too, making the Grand Cherokee Summit one of the plushest mid-size SUVs out on the road. You really can’t go wrong with this top-notch vehicle.
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Laredo:
- 60 / 40 split rear folding seat, Cloth low-back bucket seats, Front-passenger fold flat seats, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet, Cargo tie down loops, Cargo trim panel with storage net, Dual-zone automatic temperature control, Full-length center console, Overhead console, Front and rear interior led lamps, Illuminated entry, Removable/rechargeable interior light
- Electronic Vehicle Information Center, Exterior temperature and compass display, Steering wheel mounted audio controls, 5.0-inch touchscreen display, 7.0-Inch LCD Instrument Cluster with Tachometer, Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth®, Media hub, Uconnect® 5.0, ParkSense® Rear Park Assist with Stop
Interior available on the Laredo E:
- Optional Single Disc CD Player, Optional SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1-year radio subscription
Interior available on the 75th Anniversary Edition:
- Cloth bucket seats, Heated front seats, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet delete, Heated steering wheel
- 5.0-inch touchscreen display delete, 8.4-inch touchscreen display, Media hub delete, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1-year radio subscription, Uconnect® 5.0 delete
Interior available on the Limited:
- Eight-way power driver / passenger seats with memory, Heated second row seats, Leather-trimmed bucket seats, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet, Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Radio driver memory, 5.0-inch touchscreen display (8.4-inch touchscreen display optional), Dual USB port – charge-only, Media hub, Uconnect® 5.0, Universal Garage Door Opener
Interior available on the Limited 75th Anniversary Edition:
- Power sunroof
- 8.4-inch touchscreen display, Roadside Assistance and 9-1-1 Call, Uconnect® 8.4, Uconnect® Access
Interior available on the Trailhawk:
- Trailhawk leather/suede seats
Interior available on the Overland:
- Leather-trimmed perforated seats with edge welting, Ventilated front seats, Driver’s auto-dimming exterior mirror, Leather-wrapped instrument panel and center armrest, Wood/leather-wrapped steering wheel, Dual-pane panoramic sunroof, GPS navigation, Under seat lighting
- SiriusXM Traffic™ with 5-Year Traffic Service, Uconnect® 8.4 NAV
Interior available on the Summit:
- Leather-trimmed bucket seats, Illuminated sill plates,
- Active Noise Control System, 19 Harman Kardon® speakers with subwoofer, ParkSense® Rear Park Assist with Stop delete
Interior available on the SRT:
- Leather seats with perforated ultra suede, Driver and passenger lower led lamps, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Nappa Leather Non-Laguna Door Trim, SRT® brushed aluminum pedals, Black velour floor mats with SRT® logo
- 19 Harman Kardon® speakers with subwoofer delete
The four-wheel-drive Grand Cherokee earned a five-star overall crash rating in government crash tests, while the two-wheel-drive version earned an overall rating of four stars. It has a number of available safety features, including blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, a forward collision mitigation system with automatic emergency braking, and lane departure warning and intervention.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring Display
- Active head restraints
- Advanced multistage front airbags
- Cruise control
- Electronic stability control
- Enhanced Accident Response System
- Hill Start Assist
- Rain Brake Support
- Ready Alert Braking
- Traction Control
- Trailer Sway Damping
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.