2017 Subaru WRX Overview
The 2017 Subaru WRX is five-passenger sedan that comes standard with an advanced all-wheel drive system and turbocharged motor. This sedan carries a starting MSRP of $26,695 for the base WRX, but that figure grows to $39,995 for the top-level WRX STI Limited model. Many advanced safety technologies also come standard, while fuel efficiency is in line with other Japanese compact sedans. Key competitors for the Subaru WRX include the Mitsubishi Lancer, Volkswagen Golf GTI, and Ford Focus ST.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2017 Subaru WRX?
While the Subaru Impreza went through a full redesign for the 2017 model year, only slight changes were made to the WRX. The base model WRX now comes standard with automatic headlights, a tricot-pattern headliner, and additional electric up/down controls for the front passenger window. In addition, the WRX STI offers consumers new options such as a power moonroof, leather trim, and an 8-way power driver’s seat. The 2017 Subaru WRX comes in five trims: WRX, Premium, Limited, STI, and STI Limited.
2017 Subaru WRX Photos:
2017 Subaru WRX Exterior
The boxy exterior of the 2017 Subaru WRX isn’t quite as flashy as the new Chevrolet Camaro or Ford Mustang, but the WRX’s large fenders and enormous air intakes do give the sedan its own distinctive look. Standard exterior features include 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, LED taillights, and an exhaust system with quad stainless-steel outlets. Furthermore, the STI trim distinguishes itself with a large rear wing, but consumers can also opt for a more subtle spoiler if they don’t care for the wing. Exterior color options include Pure Red, Lapis Blue Pearl, and Crystal White Pearl.
2017 Subaru WRX Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX
- 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Halogen headlights, LED taillights, Front and rear underspoilers, Trunk spoiler, Exhaust system with quad stainless-steel outlets, Body-color power side mirrors, Two-speed windshield wipers
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX Premium
- Adds to or replaces WRX features: 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Foglights, Heated side mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer, Power-tilt/sliding-glass moonroof
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX Limited
- Adds to or replaces Premium features: LED headlights, Optional body-color power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Auto-on/off headlights
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX STI
- Adds to or replaces Limited features: STI trunk spoiler, Body-color power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX STI Limited
- Comes with the same features as the STI trim.
2017 Subaru WRX Performance
The 2017 Subaru WRX comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged motor rated at 268 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. Buyers have the choice between a six-speed manual or continuously variable transmission, except for STI models, which are only available with a manual gearbox. The STI trims also come with a more powerful 2.5-liter flat-4 engine that pumps out 305 horsepower and 290 lb-ft of torque. In addition, every WRX comes standard with all-wheel driving systems.
2017 Subaru WRX Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2017 Subaru WRX varies depending on the buyer’s choice of trim level and transmission. The base WRX sedan with the manual transmission yields an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway. Those numbers drop to 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway when the 2.0-liter engine is matched with the CVT transmission. For STI models, fuel economy comes in at 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. In addition, the 2017 Subaru WRX comes standard with a 15.9 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Subaru WRX Interior
When designing the 2017 Subaru WRX, most of the focus went into the performance of this sedan, but the interior is still comfortable and comes with enough creature comforts to keep passengers amused. Sports seats come standard and cloth upholstery covers the performance-designed front seats, as well as the 60/40-split fold-down rear seats. Buyers can also enjoy Subaru’s StarLink infotainment system that allows users to stream music, perform hands-free phone calls, and use their favorite smartphone apps. Also, for those people concerned about storage, the 2017 WRX provides 12 cubic feet of cargo space in its trunk.
2017 Subaru WRX Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX
- 6-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, Performance-design front seats, 60/40-split fold-down rear backseat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shifter handle, Cloth upholstery, Aluminum-alloy pedal covers, Sport-design gauges, Power front and rear windows, Tilt/telescoping steering column, Center console with LED-illuminated storage tray, Illuminated and lockable glove box, Automatic climate control, Electronic cruise control, 12-volt power outlet, STARLINKÔ6.2-inch touchscreen, Six speakers
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX Premium
- Adds to or replaces WRX features: Heated front seats, Optional STARLINKÔ7-inch touchscreen, Optional Harman Kardonâ speaker system
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX Limited
- Adds to or replaces Premium features: 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-trimmed upholstery, Optional keyless access with push-button start and PIN-code vehicle access, Dual USB ports, STARLINKÔ7-inch touchscreen, Optional STARLINKÔ7-inch touchscreen with Navigation, Optional EyeSightâ Driver Assist Technology, Optional Blind Spot Detection, Optional Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Optional Reverse Automatic Braking
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX STI
- Adds to or replaces Limited features: Performance-design front seats, STI-design leather-wrapped steering wheel, Alcantaraâ leather upholstery, STI sport-design electroluminescent gauges, Dual-zone automatic climate control system
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru WRX STI Limited
- Adds to or replaces STI features: Keyless access with push-button start and PIN-code vehicle access, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-trimmed upholstery, STARLINKÔ7-inch touchscreen with Navigation, Harman Kardonâ speaker system, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross Traffic Alert
2017 Subaru WRX Safety
Besides coming standard with all-wheel drive, every 2017 Subaru WRX features a rear vision camera, antilock brakes, brake assist, daytime running lights, and a traction control system. For even more advanced safety features, the WRX Limited model offers Subaru’s EyeSight driver assist technology, which adds lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision warning. In addition, while the 2017 WRX has yet to be safety tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the similarly deigned 2016 Subaru WRX received Top Safety Pick+ honors from the IIHS.
Standard Safety Features
- Traction Control System
- Brake Assist
- 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Rear Vision Camera
- Daytime Running Lights
- LATCH System