2017 Toyota Prius Prime Overview
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is a plug-in hybrid version of the regular Toyota Prius, though it offers much more than just a new powertrain. With the addition of the word “Prime” in the Toyota Prius name comes distinctive new styling, a massive 11.6-inch touchscreen, and multiple driving modes including a Recharge mode that uses the engine to recharge the battery. Driving a Toyota Prius Prime is arguably the best way to go green on the road should range anxiety and long recharge times be deterring you from buying an electric car.
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is available in three trims: Plus, Premium, and Advanced.
Toyota Safety Sense: This advanced safety suite is standard on the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime?
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is an all-new model that kicks off the second generation of the Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid, previously just known as the “Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid.” It boasts an all-new drivetrain, more EV range, faster recharge times, and better fuel economy than both the previous-gen Prius plug-in and the regular 2017 Toyota Prius.
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Exterior
Toyota’s designs have been hit and miss lately, but by combining elements from two of its most polarizing vehicles—the Prius and Mirai—the automaker has somehow managed to make the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime quite attractive, especially in blue-teal paint. It has the body of the Prius, the headlight design of the Mirai, and “dual-wave” glass made on the same carbon-fiber loom as the Lexus LFA supercar. Throw in some LED multi-lens lights, a unique grille, and wrapping LEDs at the rear, and the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is a head-turner for all the right reasons.
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is available in the following exterior colors: Magnetic Gray Metallic, Titanium Glow, Classic Silver Metallic, Blizzard Pearl, Hypersonic Red, and Blue Magnetism.
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Plus:
- LED Daytime Running Lights with on/off feature, LED taillights and stop lights, Heated power outside mirrors with folding feature, Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers, Charge port with illumination and charge indicator light
Exterior available on Premium (adds to or replaces features on Plus):
- Quad-LED projector headlights with auto level control and auto on/off feature, Smart charging cable lock
Exterior available on Advanced (adds to or replaces features on Premium):
- Integrated LED fog lights and LED accent lights, Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Performance
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 95 horsepower and 105 lb-ft of torque. The engine is combined with 53- and 23-kilowatt electric motors to increase power up to a total of 121 hp. While driving in electric mode, the Toyota Prius Prime can achieve speeds of up to 84 mph.
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Efficiency
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is equipped with a large 8.8 kWh battery that allows it to go for up to 25 miles on electric power only. In hybrid mode it is rated by the EPA at 55 mpg city, 53 mpg highway, and 54 mpg combined, making it slightly more efficient than the regular Prius. In EV mode, it is rated at 133 MPGe, the best fuel economy rating of any vehicle.
Using a 240V charger, the Toyota Prius Prime can be recharged in about two hours. It needs a little over five hours to fully recharge on a standard 120V outlet.
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Interior
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime boasts the nicest interior of any of the Prius family vehicles, starting with the centerpiece 11.6-inch Entune infotainment touchscreen in the middle of the dash, which is standard on the Premium and Advanced models. You get plenty on the base model though, such as a USB port, keyless entry, Bluetooth, a 7-inch multimedia color display, heated seats, and push-button start. While the Prius Prime’s interior is comfortable and tastefully laid out, the ride quality is slightly compromised by the harder tires (equipped for maximizing fuel economy) and a suspension that isn’t completely able to manage the added weight of the Prius Prime’s larger battery pack.
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Interior Photos:
Interior available on Plus:
- Features: Smart-flow climate control system with pollen filtration, Remote A/C System, Four-passenger seating with 60/40 split fold-down rear seats with center armrest with cup holders and center console, SofTex®-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with controls, digital instrumentation with EV/hybrid mode indicator and drive mode indicator plus hybrid system power meter, Fabric-trimmed heated front seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, Smart Key System on driver’s door with Push Button Start, Power windows with auto up/down, Cargo area lightweight tonneau cover, One front and one rear 12V auxiliary power outlets, One front USB power outlet, Charging cable for standard outlet
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation, Seven-inch high-resolution touchscreen with split-screen display, AM/FM/CD player, Six speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, Bluetooth® wireless technology, Siri® Eyes Free, Entune® App suite, HD Radio™ Technology, HD Radio™ Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month trial, Gracenote® album cover art, Integrated backup camera display, 4.2-inch color dual Multi-Information Display with customizable screens
Interior available on Premium (adds to or replaces features on Plus):
- Features: SofTex®-trimmed heated front seats, Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Smart Key System on three doors with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation, 11.6-inch HD multimedia display, MP3/WMA playback capability, 10 JBL® GreenEdge™ speakers, Prime Apps with three-year complimentary trial, Predictive Efficient Drive, Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging with charge indicator light
Interior available on Advanced (adds to or replaces features on Premium):
- Features: Heated steering wheel, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver, Cargo area heavy sliding tonneau cover
- Radio and Technology: Entune® App Suite, Safety Connect® with complimentary three-year trial subscription, Color Head-Up Display with Hybrid System Indicator and Toyota Safety Sense™ P alerts, Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Intelligent Parking Assist, Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
2017 Toyota Prius Prime Safety
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is equipped with all of the usual passive safety features like anti-lock brakes and traction control, and comes standard with the Toyota Safety Sense P suite of active safety technologies (check the list below for more details).
The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime has yet to be tested by the government, but in testing by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), it received the highest possible score of “Good” in all crash categories, as well as for front crash prevention. It also received an “Acceptable” rating for headlight visibility. As a result, it earned the IIHS’s Top Safety Pick+ award, its highest honor.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™—includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist , and Smart Stop Technology®
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System
- Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted airbags, passenger seat cushion airbag, driver’s knee airbag, and front and rear curtain shield airbags
- Toyota Safety Sense™ P—includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams, and Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors on rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Engine immobilizer
- Tire Repair System
Toyota Entune: Learn more about Toyota’s advanced infotainment system