2017 Toyota Sequoia Overview
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia is a full-size SUV aimed at big families, outdoorsy folk, or ideally both. Its giant interior can comfortably accommodate up to eight passengers or alternatively swallow all of the camping gear you could ever need, while a big V8 under the hood provides sufficient power to tow a boat or other trailer. Drivers seeking a big, off-road capable SUV with three rows of usable seating will be hard-pressed to find a better vehicle than the Toyota Sequoia.
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia is available in three trims: SR5, Limited, and Platinum.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Sequoia?
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia carries over from the 2016 model year with no changes of note.
2017 Toyota Sequoia Exterior
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia presents a picture-perfect example of the classic full-size SUV. It’s rugged, but not too square around the edges, and easily the biggest vehicle Toyota offers in its considerable lineup. It boasts a clean and powerful appearance that doesn’t overstate itself with a massive grille as some other SUVs have been recently prone to do, and can even be elongated with an available extended wheelbase version.
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia is available in the following exterior colors: Super White, Silver Sky Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black, Sizzling Crimson Mica, Sandy Beach Metallic, Pyrite Mica, and Blizzard Pearl.
2017 Toyota Sequoia Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on SR5:
- Multi-reflector halogen headlights with auto-off, Daytime running lights with on/off feature, Integrated fog lights, Chrome grille surround, Color-keyed heated power side mirrors, Color-keyed door handles, Power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade, 18-inch alloy wheels with P275/65R18 tires, Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers and intermittent rear wiper, Windshield wiper de-icer, Privacy glass, Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED center stoplight, Roof rack, Running boards, Front and rear mudguards, Engine and transfer case skid plates
Exterior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SR5):
- Chrome auto-dimming heated power side mirrors with turn signal indicators, Chrome door handles, 20-inch alloy wheels with P275/55R20 tires, Power liftgate with jam protection
Exterior available on Platinum (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- Chrome auto-dimming heated power side mirrors with memory features, 20-inch diamond-cut finish alloy wheels with P275/55R20 tires
2017 Toyota Sequoia Performance
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia is powered by a strong and quiet 5.7-liter V8 that makes 381 horsepower and 401 lb-ft of torque. It’s a capable engine that, paired with a six-speed automatic transmission that includes a low first gear for moving heavy loads, helps the SUV achieve a maximum and impressive towing capacity of 7,400 pounds. The Toyota Sequoia comes with standard rear-wheel drive (RWD) and with available four-wheel drive (4WD).
2017 Toyota Sequoia Efficiency
It’s difficult to make a 5.7-liter V8 return good mileage, and though the 2017 Toyota Sequoia does its best with two overdrive gears that help enhance fuel efficiency and reduce noise at highway speeds, it can still only manage 13 mpg in the city, 17 mpg on the highway, and 15 mpg combined.
2017 Toyota Sequoia Interior
In addition to its sheer capability, the interior is where the 2017 Toyota Sequoia truly shines. Unlike in some other eight-passenger SUVs, even adults can sit all the way back in the third row and still be comfortable, in part because of the exceptional room but also thanks to the good fit-and-finish and ride quality. The Toyota Sequoia is also extremely flexible: the third-row bench seat can be power-folded, the second-row bench seat can slide fore-and-aft as well as be folded, and the second row can be optionally upgraded to captain’s chairs. In other words, you can make the interior of the Toyota Sequoia just about what you want it to be, with a massive 120.1 cubic feet of space available behind the first row.
2017 Toyota Sequoia Interior Photos:
Interior available on SR5:
- Features: Auto three-zone front and rear climate control with air filter, Easy-clean fabric-trimmed seats, Urethane steering with hands-free controls, LCD instrumentation display, Power windows and locks, Overhead console with storage, Cargo area with 12-volt outlet
- Radio and Technology: AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, Auxiliary jack, USB 2.0 port, Bluetooth, HD Radio, 6.1-inch high-resolution touch-screen display, Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, Remote keyless entry
Interior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SR5):
- Features: Leather-trimmed and heated front seats, Leather-trimmed tilt/telescoping steering with audio controls, Optitron LCD instrumentation display
- Radio and Technology: Front and rear parking assist, Entune Premium Audio with integrated navigation and app suite
Interior available on Platinum (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- Features: Perforated leather-trimmed heated seats, Leather-trimmed steering with wood-grain accents, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium JBL Audio with integrated navigation and app suite, Rear-seat Blu-ray Disc player, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control
2017 Toyota Sequoia Safety
The 2017 Toyota Sequoia comes standard with traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist, enhanced vehicle stability control, and Smart Stop Technology®. The airbag system includes driver and front passenger dual-stage airbags, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, a driver knee airbag, roll-sensing side curtain airbags for all rows, and a front passenger seat-cushion airbag. Blind spot monitors and an integrated rearview camera are optional.
The Toyota Sequoia has not been rated by either the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System with TRAC, ABS, EBD, and Brake Assist
- Advanced Airbag System
- LATCH child safety system
- Side-Impact door beams
- Trailer-Sway Control
- ToyotaCare with maintenance and roadside assistance
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.