2018 Genesis G80 Overview
The model that used to be the Hyundai Genesis became the Genesis G80 when it became the namesake of Hyundai’s newly-formed luxury brand. The first year of sales of the G80 showed the appeal of the affordable luxury sedan that’s better priced than its competitors are. As a practically-priced premium model that offers a wealth of standard features, the 2018 Genesis G80 proves that satisfying compromise is possible.
Driving in the Snow This Winter? How to protect your car from the elements
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Genesis G80?
In its second model year, the G80 has already undergone slight styling, price, and feature tweaks for 2018. For a couple hundred dollars more, the basic G80 now bears a tighter front fascia, 18-inch wheels, and infotainment technology to connect your smartphone.
The highlight of 2018 G80 is the addition of a new engine option: a 3.3-liter turbo V6 that–thanks to additional braking and steering enhancements–gives the model a much-needed athletic edge. This motor had only been available on the G90, but due to demand, has been introduced on the G80. The engine, available as a separate trim, includes an array of improved body and technology items, too.
2018 Genesis G80 Exterior
The exterior of the Genesis G80 doesn’t aim to buck luxury design trends and instead aims for a more conventional, conservative look, though it bears hints of modernism with chrome edging around the windows and grille. Its hexagonal grille is recognizable, and its LED taillights are admittedly stylish. Body colors include Casablanca White, Serengeti Brown, and Adriatic Blue.
2018 Genesis G80 Photos:
Exterior features included on the 2018 Genesis G80
- 3.8 trim: Rain-sensing wipers, Auto-defogging windshield, Heated dual power-folding auto-dimming side mirrors, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Hands-free smart trunk with auto open
- 3.3T Sport trim: Power trunk lid, Full LED headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL), Automatic headlights, Panoramic sunroof, Sport dark chrome exhaust outlets with honeycomb surround
- 5.0-liter V8 trim: LED fog lights, Quad exhaust tips
2018 Genesis G80 Performance
The 2018 G80 maintains the same basic engine this year: a 3.8-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 capable of 311 horsepower and 293 lb-ft of torque. The new Sport engine, a 3.3-liter twin-turbo DOHC 24-valve V6, bears marginally enhanced performance at 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque. At the top of the hill, though, is the 5.0-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 that proudly outputs a potential 420 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque.
All three of these engine options are mated to an eight-speed electronic automatic with SHIFTRONIC® manual shift mode.
2018 Genesis G80 Efficiency
The fuel efficiency of the 2018 G80 depends on which engine you choose. The basic 3.8-liter unit manages to maintain an EPA-estimated average of 19 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway, which is pretty good for a V6. The new Sport engine gets slightly lower efficiency at 17 mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway. Finally, the V8 fully trades practicality for power, getting by on a combined city/highway average of 19 mpg.
2018 Genesis G80 Interior
As you can expect, the inside of the G80 bears many of the styling and material touches that other such luxury sedans do. Aiming to compete with the most impressive interiors on the market, the G80 doesn’t hold back when it comes to its seats (full-grain leather with three-level heating/cooling) or its technology (intuitive instrument cluster and available 9-inch HD display). This five-seater also bears woodgrain and metalgrain accents.
2018 Genesis G80 Interior Photos:
Interior features included on the 2018 Genesis G80
- 3.8 trim: Leather seating surfaces, Steering-wheel mounted cruise control, Electronic rear window defroster with timer, Woodgrain interior accents, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with audio streaming, AM/FM/SiriusXM®/CD/MP3/HD Radio™ audio system with seven speakers, Genesis Connected Services® Telematics System, Electroluminescent Gauge Cluster with 4.2-inch TFT LCD screen, Navigation system with 8-inch display
- 3.3T Sport trim: Premium leather seating surfaces, 16-way power driver seat with four-way lumbar and memory, Ventilated front seats, Dual-mode front vent control with CO2 sensor, Heated rear seats, Lexicon® 17-speaker Surround Sound Audio, Quantum Logic® Surround Clari-Fi™ Music Restoration Technology, Navigation system with HD 9.2-inch LCD screen and DIS Multimedia Controller, Multi-view camera, Wireless Device Charging
- 5.0-liter V8: Microfiber headliner
2018 Genesis G80 Safety
In its short lifespan thusfar, the Genesis brand has already become known for impressive safety. The 2018 G80 has passed crash tests with flying colors, earning a full 5-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and top “Good” scores in every category evaluated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), making it a Top Safety Pick+.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Genesis G80
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) with Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection
- Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
- Front and rear crumple zones and 5-mph bumpers
- Rearview camera with dynamic parking guidelines
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist
More from Hyundai: Surprising facts about the Hyundai Sonata
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.