2018 Mazda CX-5 Overview
In a world saturated with boring beigemobiles, Mazda has become a beacon for interesting, fun vehicles, none of which sell better than the Mazda CX-5, back once again for 2018.
One Step Larger: Coming in second in sales is this, the Mazda CX-9
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda CX-5?
Since Mazda redesigned the CX-5 for the 2017 model year, mostly it carries over unchanged to the 2018 model year, although it now has a leather-wrapped steering wheel and blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert as standard equipment, as well as brand new cylinder-deactivation technology, which deactivates the two outside cylinders at highway speeds to save on fuel.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
The exterior of the CX-5 is unchanged from last year, featuring amenities such as LED headlights and side-mirror-integrated turn signals. Generally, the CX-5 comes in tones of black, white, and gray, with the addition of a dark blue, a light blue, and of course, the brand’s trademark Soul Red.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- LED headlights, Daytime Running Lights, Auto-off headlights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Body-colored door handles, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Body-colored rear roof spoiler, Dual exhaust outlets with bright finish, 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- LED Headlights with Auto-leveling, Auto on/off headlights, High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- LED Daytime Running Lights, LED fog lights, LED Combination taillights, Adaptive Front-lighting System, Power Rear Liftgate with programmable height adjustment, Body-colored heated power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
2018 Mazda CX-5 Performance
Each 2018 CX-5 comes equipped with a SKYACTIV®-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque. Each can also be equipped with either front-wheel drive or the brand’s i-ACTIV AWD® system (always a popular choice among Mazda drivers).
2018 Mazda CX-5 Efficiency
Thanks to the CX-5’s new cylinder-deactivation system, the crossover offers slightly better fuel efficiency than previous years, delivering 25/31 mpg city/highway in front-wheel drive models and 24/30 mpg city/highway for models with i-ACTIV AWD®.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Interior
The mid-size CX-5 carries up to five passengers in two rows of seating, with a split 40/20/40-split-folding rear row of seating for a maximum cargo volume of 59.6 cubic feet of space, or 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- Air conditioning with pollen filter, Six-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way manual adjustable front passenger seat, 40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback, Cloth-trimmed seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped gear selector
- Remote keyless illuminated entry system with “answer back” feature, Push Button Start, 12-volt power outlets, 7-inch full-color touch screen display, AM/FM/MP3 four-speaker audio system with automatic level control, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability, HD Radio™, Rearview Camera, MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System, Auxiliary audio input jack, Dual front USB inputs
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Six-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar support, Six-way manual front passenger seat with seat height adjuster, Heated front seats, Leatherette seats with Lux Suede® inserts
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, AM/FM/MP3 six-speaker audio system with automatic level control, Dual front and rear USB inputs, Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Smart Brake Support, Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Eight-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and two-position memory, Six-way power front passenger seat, Leather-trimmed seats
- Bose® 10-speaker audio system with Centerpoint® 2 and AudioPilot® 2, Mazda Navigation System, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription
2018 Mazda CX-5 Safety
The CX-5 is equipped with the usual array of safety features, including a system of airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all positions, a Ring Structure unibody, and LATCH rear child safety seat anchors and upper tether anchors. In addition, though, the CX-5 now comes standard with some of the brand’s active safety features, including Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Smart City Brake Support (aka low-speed automatic braking).
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda CX-5
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake Force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Control System
- Hill Launch Assist
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH rear seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
One Step Smaller: For distinct Mazda flavor in a compact SUV, see the Mazda CX-3
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.