2018 Mazda3 Overview
Say hello to the Zoom Zoom brand’s compact passenger car, coming with good standard features and excellent driving dynamics, whether it is a sedan or a hatchback.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda3?
For 2018, like other models in the brand’s lineup, the Mazda3 will be getting both Smart City Brake Support, which is automatic emergency braking for under 19 mph, and G-Vectoring Control, which is a system that slightly dips engine torque in hard corners to shift the vehicle’s weight and improve driving feel.
Otherwise, the Mazda3’s standard features are very slightly shuffled, with the Touring model getting a new wheel cover and a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, and the Grand Touring moving a few optional features to standard.
2018 Mazda3 Photos:
2018 Mazda3 Exterior
The Mazda3 is a compact car, designed using Mazda’s KODO: Soul of Motion design language. It can come as either a sedan or a hatchback, and either way is available in eight colors, in varying shades of black and white, two blues, and the trademark Soul Red.
2018 Mazda3 Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Sport
- Halogen headlights, Daytime running lights, Body-colored power side mirrors, Black beltline trim, Integrated rear-window antenna, Black matte-finish front grille insert, 16-inch steel wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Touring
- Automatic on/off headlights, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Body-colored power and heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Bright beltline trim, Rear decklid spoiler, 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Grand Touring
- Bi-LED headlights with auto leveling, LED fog lights, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED combination taillights, Body-colored power and heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Black metallic front grille insert
2018 Mazda3 Performance
For 2018, the Mazda3 comes with one of two engines.
The first and smaller of the two is a 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder, which produces 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque. This engine comes standard on the base Sport trim.
The larger engine comes standard on both the Touring and Grand Touring trims, and is a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder, which produces 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque.
2018 Mazda3 Efficiency
The fuel efficiency of the Mazda3 varies slightly depending on the engine, transmission, and body style.
- 2.0-liter, six-speed manual: 28/38/31 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.0-liter, six-speed automatic: 28/37/31 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.5-liter, six-speed automatic: 27/36/30 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.0-liter, six-speed manual: 27/37/31 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.0-liter, six-speed automatic: 28/37/32 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.5-liter, six-speed automatic: 26/35/30 mpg city/highway/combined
2018 Mazda3 Interior
The interior space of the Mazda3 varies depending on whether the model is a sedan or a hatchback, and on whether or not the rear seats are down. It comes fitted with a number of strong features, such as cloth-trim sport seats, a 7-inch touchscreen display, and dual USB audio input ports in the center console.
2018 Mazda3 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Sport
- Cruise control with steering-wheel-mounted controls, Six-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Cloth-trimmed sport seats
- Remote keyless entry system with “answer back” feature, Push Button Start, Remote fuel door release, 12-volt power outlet, 7-inch full-color touchscreen display, AM/FM audio system with six speakers, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System, Auxiliary audio input jack, Dual USB Audio Input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Touring
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Driver and passenger-side illuminated covered visor vanity mirrors, Six-way power adjustable driver’s seat with manual lumbar adjustment, Variable heated front seats, Black leatherette-trimmed sport seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda3 Grand Touring
- Perforated leather-trimmed sport seats
- Bose® nine-speaker surround sound system with Centerpoint® 2 and AudioPilot® 2, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription
2018 Mazda3 Safety
Like most of the rest of the Mazda lineup (the Miata has not been tested), the Mazda3 is a 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick+, meaning it scored top marks in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s crash tests, plus earned a “Superior” rating for its front crash prevention, plus scored an “Acceptable” rating for its headlights. The National highway Traffic Safety Administration also gave the Mazda3 high marks, with a five star overall safety rating, five star frontal crash rating, five star side crash rating, and four-star rollover rating.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda3
- Advanced dual front air bags with passenger weight sensors, Front seat-mounted side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains
- Whiplash-reducing front seat headrests
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist
- Hill Launch Assist
- Smart City Brake Support
- Rearview camera
- LATCH child safety seat anchors & upper tethers
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.