2018 Toyota RAV4 Overview
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 has a lot to live up to, as its predecessor is the best-selling model in the most competitive and saturated segment in the modern automotive market. For 2018, it continues to impress with its great road-going characteristics, ample amounts of passenger and cargo space, can-do style and bulletproof safety and reliability. For those seeking a moderately sized family vehicle or personal adventure crossover that can do just about everything, it’s hard to go wrong with the Toyota RAV4.
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 is available in nine trims: LE, XLE, XLE Hybrid, Adventure, SE, SE Hybrid, Limited, Limited Hybrid, and Platinum.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Toyota RAV4?
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 comes with a new Adventure trim that adds 18-inch wheels, a 120-volt outlet, extra ground clearance, as well as a new Cold Weather package with heated power front seats, heated steering wheel, and windshield wiper de-icers. A new Tow Prep package also increases tow rating to 2,900 pounds with front-wheel drive (FWD) and 3,500 pounds with all-wheel drive (AWD).
2018 Toyota RAV4 Exterior
As the best-selling vehicle in Toyota’s lineup, and one of the overall best-selling vehicles in North America, you’ll have seen plenty of the Toyota RAV4 on the roads. It boasts a much more aggressive look than in previous generations, with sharp lines accentuated by the compact shape of a crossover SUV. Unlike on older models, there’s also no spare tire; instead, the 2018 Toyota RAV4’s rear door can now swing up, allowing for much easier access to the generous cargo area. Overall, it’s an improvement.
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 is available in the following exterior colors: Galactic Aqua Mica, Electric Storm Blue, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Blizzard Pearl, Super White, Black, Ruby Flare Pearl, Black Currant Metallic, Silver Sky Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, S-Code Black, S-Code Electric Storm Blue, and S-Code Super White.
2018 Toyota RAV4 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on LE:
- Halogen projector-beam headlights with auto on/off feature, Halogen Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED brake light, 17-inch wide-vent steel wheels with wheel colors and P255/65R17 tires, Color-keyed roof-mounted shark-fin antenna, Color-keyed outside door handles, Power folding outside mirrors with blind spot mirrors, Intermittent windshield wiper and intermittent rear window wiper, Rear window defogger with timer, Privacy glass, Acoustic noise-reducing UV reduction glass front windshield
Exterior available on XLE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Front bumper integrated fog lights, 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels with P225/65R17 tires, Front and rear silver-painted bumper garnish, Power heated and folding outside mirrors with blind spot mirrors and turn signal indicators, Variable intermittent windshield wiper and intermittent rear window wiper, Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
Exterior available on XLE Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on XLE):
- Roof rails
Exterior available on Adventure (adds to or replaces features on XLE Hybrid):
- Halogen projector-beam headlights with black bezels and auto on/off feature, Front bumper integrated fog lights with black accents, 18-inch five-spoke black alloy wheels with P235/55R18 tires, Unique lower valance panels and rocker panel guards, Large overfender flares
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on Adventure):
- LED projector-beam headlights with auto on/off feature, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), LED taillights and stop lights with smoked trim, 18-inch five-spoke Sport alloy wheels with P235/55R18 tires
Exterior available on SE Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Power heated and folding outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and blind spot warning indicators, Height-adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
Exterior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SE Hybrid):
- 18-inch five-spoke SuperChrome alloy wheels with P235/55R18 tires, Chrome outside door handles
Exterior available on Limited Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- Same as Limited
Exterior available on Platinum (adds to or replaces features on Limited Hybrid):
- Color-keyed outside door handles, Hands-free height-adjustable and foot-activated power liftgate with jam protection
2018 Toyota RAV4 Performance
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 is available with two powertrains: one traditional powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder and one hybrid that features that same engine paired on the Atkinson cycle paired with two electric motors, one at each axle. The non-hybrid setup makes 176 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque while the hybrid powertrain makes up to 194 net system horsepower and 206 lb-ft of torque.
On the non-hybrid models, power is driven to the front wheels by default via a six-speed automatic transmission, with all-wheel-drive (AWD) available. AWD comes standard on the hybrid models along with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).
When properly equipped, the Toyota RAV4 is capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds.
2018 Toyota RAV4 Efficiency
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 is quit efficient for a vehicle of its size. The non-hybrid, front-wheel-drive (FWD) models get an EPA-estimated 26 mpg combined (23 mpg city/30 mpg highway), while AWD models get 25 mpg combined (22 mpg city/28 mpg highway). The hybrid models, which have AWD by default, get 32 mpg combined (34 mpg city and 30 mpg highway).
2018 Toyota RAV4 Interior
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 comes with a well-put-together interior that features soft-touch surfaces and high-quality plastics with tastefully contrasting colors for an overall look that, even on the lowest trim, feels more upscale than you’d traditionally get at that price point. Leather isn’t available—instead, you get “SofTex,” a more environmentally-friendly material that looks and feels remarkably like the real thing. There’s good comfort to be found in the seats, especially with the lumbar support on the upper trims, and plenty of legroom for the rear passengers without sacrificing cargo space.
2018 Toyota RAV4 Interior Photos:
Interior available on LE:
- Features: Air conditioning with in-cabin air filter, Backup camera with projected path static lines, Day/night rearview mirror, Cruise control, Tilt/telescopic urethane steering wheel, Steering wheel-mounted controls, Fabric-trimmed six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, Fabric-trimmed 60/40 split-reclining fold-flat second-row seat with center armrest, Illuminated entry system, Three 12V power outlets, Dual sun visors with vanity mirrors, Overhead console with integrated sunglasses holder
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Multimedia Bundle (includes 6.1-inch Entune™ touchscreen display, AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA playback, Six speakers, Auxiliary input audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, Phone book access, Music streaming via BLUETOOTH® wireless technology), Remote keyless entry system
Interior available on XLE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Features: Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter, Tilt/telescopic leather-trimmed steering wheel, Driver’s seat with sport bolsters, Front passenger seat with sport bolsters, Power windows with driver auto-up/down and jam protection, Dual sun visors with vanity mirrors and extenders
- Radio and Technology: 4.2-inch TFT Multi-Information Display (MID) with customizable settings
Interior available on XLE Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on XLE):
- Features: Backup camera with projected path dynamic gridlines,
- Radio and Technology: Entune Audio Plus™ (includes Scout® GPS Link App, Siri® Eyes Free, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, HD Radio™ Technology, and HD Radio™ Traffic and Weather in major metro areas), Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start
Interior available on Adventure (adds to or replaces features on XLE Hybrid):
- Features: Backup camera with projected path static lines, Unique door sill protectors, Adventure shift lever
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Multimedia Bundle
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on Adventure):
- Features: Backup camera with projected path dynamic gridlines, Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Unique floor mats, SE shift lever, SofTex®-trimmed eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support, Heated front seats, SofTex®-trimmed second-row seat
- Radio and Technology: Entune Audio Plus™
Interior available on SE Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Features: Same as SE
- Radio and Technology: Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
Interior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SE Hybrid):
- Features: Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Leather-trimmed shift lever, Driver’s seat with memory function, SofTex®-covered sliding center armrest
- Radio and Technology: 7-inch high-resolution Entune™ touchscreen, HD Radio™ Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, Gracenote® album cover art, Entune® App Suite
Interior available on Limited Hybrid (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- Features: Same as Limited
- Radio and Technology: Front and rear parking sonar
Interior available on Platinum (adds to or replaces features on Limited Hybrid):
- Features: Bird’s Eye View Camera with perimeter scan and overhead 360-degree view, Unique doorsill protectors
- Radio and Technology: 7-inch high-resolution Entune™ touchscreen with split-screen display, 11 JBL® GreenEdge™ speakers including subwoofer, Smart Key System on all doors with Push Button Start and remote power liftgate function
2018 Toyota RAV4 Safety
All 2018 Toyota RAV4 models have received the highest-possible five-star score for overall safety in testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with four stars earned in front crash tests and rollover tests and a full suite of five star results in six different side crash categories. Though the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has yet to test the 2018 model, the 2017 Toyota RAV4 was named a Top Safety Pick+ for acing every crashworthiness evaluation and providing “superior” front crash prevention technology, and there’s no reason to believe it won’t do the same again this year.
Standard Safety Features
- Toyota Safety Sense™ – includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Star Safety System™ – includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, and Smart Stop Technology®
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Trailer-Sway Control
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver knee airbag, front passenger seat-cushion airbag, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, and front- and second-row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash Injury Lessening seats
- Three-point seatbelts in all seating positions with adjustable front seatbelt anchors
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor on all passenger belts
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt warning system
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) – includes lower anchors and tether anchors on outboard second-row seats
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Engine immobilizer
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.