2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Overview
While most of the auto industry is busy designing crossovers of every imaginable size, Volvo is taking a different route, as the company recently announced the availability of its all-new V90 Wagon. Not to be confused with the Cross Country model–which features a lifted ride height–the normal V90 wagon will not be displayed at Volvo dealerships in the United States. The only way to get this wagon is via Volvo Concierge or overseas delivery. Either way, the 2018 Volvo V90 is one of the only true station wagons available in the US along with the Mercedes-Benz E-Class. If you’re considering the Volvo V90, then you’ll want to know it carries a starting MSRP of $49,950.
Pretty In Pink: You won’t believe these 5 celebrities drive bright pink cars
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2018 Volvo V90 Wagon?
The Volvo V90 wagon is all-new for the 2018 model year. Based on the Scandinavian brand’s scalable product architecture, the V90 shares many similarities with the S90 sedan. However, the wagon variant features more cargo space and its wheels are pushed further ahead.
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Photos:
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Exterior
The Volvo brand has a long history of building station wagons. However, it hasn’t offered one in the US for a number of years. Most people will immediately take notice of the V90’s slanted roofline and elongated hood, but it’s this wagon’s sleek body lines that will really draw your attention. Every new V90 comes standard with Volvo’s Thor’s Hammer headlights, as well as a hands-free power litigate, which owners can open by simply placing their foot beneath the rear bumper or by hitting a button. The V90 is available in two main trim levels: R-Design and Inscription. The R-Design model comes standard with 19-inch diamond cut alloy wheels and duel tailpipes, while the Inscription adds chrome window trim and a unique grille design.
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Photos:
Exterior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T5 R-Design
- Power glass moonroof, Tinted windows, 19-inch 6-double spoke tech matte black diamond cut alloy wheels, R-Design dual integrated tailpipes, R-Design exterior mirror covers, R-Design front decor elements, R-Design grille, R-Design silk metal window trim, Roof rails
Exterior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T5 Inscription
- Adds to or replaces features on T5 R-Design: 19-inch 10-spoke silver diamond cut alloy wheels, Chrome window trim, Glossy chrome sill moulding with embossed Inscription logo, Inscription door handles, Inscription front grille design, Inscription dual integrated tailpipes
Exterior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T6 AWD R-Design
- Comes with the same exterior features as the T5 R-Design
Exterior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T6 AWD Inscription
- Comes with the same exterior features as the T5 Inscription
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Performance
The more affordable R-Design model comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated at 250 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. This motor is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and buyers have the choice between front-wheel and all-wheel drive. However, if a turbo-four just isn’t good enough for you, the T6 variants feature a four-banger that’s both supercharged and turbocharged, giving the wagon 316 horsepower and 295-lb-ft of torque. Besides adding this higher-performing engine, the T6 variants also offer a premium air suspension. Lastly, the 2018 Volvo V90 has a towing capacity of up to 3,700 pounds.
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Efficiency
While Volvo has announced the V90’s starting MSRP, trim levels, standard features, engine options, and just about everything else, the company has yet to release fuel economy ratings for its new wagon, but the similarly designed S90 with the 250-horsepower motor yields 23 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway. Furthermore, the S90 equipped with the 316-horsepower engine is good for 22 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. One thing that we can confirm about the 2018 V90 is that it comes with a 14.5-gallon fuel tank.
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Interior
It might not shock you to hear the interior of the V90 wagon is quite similar to the cabin of the S90 sedan. Both models offer a comfy and quiet driving experience and each vehicle comes standard with the company’s Sensus Connect technology. In the ’18 V90, this system uses a 9-inch touchscreen that allows the driver and passengers to utilize Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, as well as mnay other features. In addition, when it comes to seating, the R-Design comes with Nubuck and Nappa leather covered sports seats, while the high-level Inscription trim gets heated front seats with perforated Nappa leather. What’s more, one area where the V90 does differ from the S90 is its storage capacity, as the wagon variant provides 53.9 cubic inches of cargo space.
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T5 R-Design
- Ergonomically designed seats, Folding two-split 60/40 rear seat, Power driver seat w/memory, Power lumbar support, Sport seats, Charcoal R-Design Nubuck & Nappa leather upholstery (RB0R), 4-zone electronic climate system, Automatic CleanZone function, Rear center armrest w/cupholders, Front door bins, R-Design steering wheel, Leather gearshift knob, Metal mesh aluminum inlays, Sport pedals, R-Design illuminated tread plates, 12-inch driver display, Apple CarPlay and USB hub, Headlight high-pressure cleaning, Sensus Connect, Sensus Navigation, Trip computer, Voice Control, Volvo On Call, High performance audio system, SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/6-month introductory subscription, Steering wheel controls
Interior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T5 Inscription
- Comfort front seats, Heated front seats, Front seat ventilation, Drive power seat cushion extensions, Front passenger power seat cushion extensions, Power side bolsters, Perforated Nappa leather, Leather steering wheel w/Uni-Deco trim, Linear walnut wood inlays, Illuminated sill plates, Inscription interior styling
Interior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T6 AWD R-Design
- Comes with the same interior features as the T5 R-Design
Interior available on the 2018 Volvo V90 T6 AWD Inscription
- Comes with the same interior features as the T5 Inscription
2018 Volvo V90 Wagon Safety
Besides offering typical safety modern day safety features like daytime running lights and electronic stability control, every new V90 wagon also comes standard with a number of advanced safety technologies, such as large animal detection, a rear park assist camera, and adaptive cruise control with Pilot Assist. If you haven’t heard of Pilot Assist, it’s a semi-autonomous feature that can keep a predetermined distance from the vehicle ahead, as well as assist with steering and braking, even when the V90 is traveling at speeds as high as 80 mph.
Standard Safety Features
- Active Bending Lights (ABL), added to standard LED Headlights with Thor’s Hammer DRL & Active High Beam (AHB)
- Active High Beam
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist (ACC)
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) and Cross Traffic Alert (CTA)
- City Safety Collision Avoidance Technology
- Daytime Running Lights
- Distance Alert
- Driver Alert Control
- Electronic Stability Control
- Emergency Brake Light
- Fog Lights w/Corner Function
- Lane Keeping Aid
- LED Headlights with Thor’s Hammer DRL & Active High Beam (AHB)
- Rear Collision Warning
- Road Sign Information
- Run-Off Road Mitigation
Fuel For Thought: 15 career ideas for people who love cars