Detroit Law Firm Offering Free Rides Home After New Year’s Eve Parties
According to the U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 40 percent of traffic-related deaths happen between Christmas and New Year’s and involve those driving under the influence of alcohol. Other than putting your life and the lives of others in danger, you’re also risking losing your license, paying hefty fines, and going to jail when you drive drunk. In an attempt to lower these disastrous statistics, a Detroit law firm is offering free rides home after all the champagne is gone and the parties are over.
Christensen Law started its “Safe Ride Home” program over the Thanksgiving holiday and provided rides to hundreds, ensuring they were not driving drunk. “We helped over 300 people get home safely,” said the firm’s founder, David Christensen. “It’s easy to see that Safe Ride Home is making a difference for people’s safety, and so we decided to bring it back for New Year’s Eve.”
Rather than hiring a fleet of drivers for the night, Christensen Law has a specific process for giving away these “free” rides, which will be available in the following counties: Bay, Genesee, Kent, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw, and Wayne. Riders simply call a ridesharing service or a taxi, pay for their ride home, and get a receipt. The next day, they just have to email a copy of their driver’s license and the ride receipt to email@example.com to receive a reimbursement of up to $35.
The program begins at 4 p.m. on December 31, 2018 and runs through January 1, 2019 until 4 a.m., with a few restrictions/guidelines:
- You must be at least 21 years old
- Your ride home must be within the aforementioned counties
- The maximum reimbursement is $35
- You must get a ride from a provider that is licensed, such as a taxi company, Uber, or Lyft
- Receipts must be submitted by midnight on January 4, 2019 to be eligible for reimbursement
- You can also send the copies of your receipt and driver’s license in the mail to: Christensen Law Safe Ride Home, 25925 Telegraph Rd., Suite 200, Southfield, MI 48033
This is a great opportunity for those living in the Detroit area this New Year’s Eve. Hopefully this will not only inspire people to drive sober, but also to get other companies involved in providing free rides to those who need them.
New Year, New Car! Check out the latest updates in the Chevy lineup