The News Wheel

Here Is What Chevy Should Call Its Crossover Volt Replacement

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Chevy is likely going to replace its plug-in hybrid Volt with a crossover sometime soon, and although it seems like it is going to call the replacement the CrossVolt, I’m not sure if that is the best choice.

New Stuff: Meet the new Chevrolet Traverse

[wptab name=’Better Names’]

The self-driving Chevrolet-FNR concept

Better Names

So here are some proposed names, sticking to the electrical theme:

Capacitor: The original word refers to a device that stores electrical energy, and has a nice alliteration to it.

Resistor: Originally, this means any device that presents resistance to an electric flow. The metaphor for resisting the flow of the market toward gasoline engines is pretty good, here.

Amp: This is short for “ampere,” a unit of electrical flow. The potential for pun-tastic ads is pretty good here, and it keeps up Chevy’s habit of naming electric cars with one-syllable words.

Proton: This one is a subatomic particle that makes up the nucleus of an atom (along with neutrons) and has a positive charge. The name evokes a positive feeling thanks to the “pro-” prefix, and sounds properly science-y.


[wptab name=’Rejected Names’]

Guy holding Stop Sign


Of course, not all of my ideas are entirely excellent, so here are the electrical-related names that I left on the cutting room floor, with a brief reason why it didn’t make the cut.

Distributor: Brings to mind a delivery vehicle, a joyless dropper-offer of stuff

Generator: Doesn’t actually generate electricity

Inductor: Sounds like the name of the world’s weirdest wrestler

Pulse: Is actually a real car, a tiny Renault hatchback

Ohm: Is the name of a car battery brand, and makes you think of meditation, so is hardly exciting

Solenoid: Goes out the other side of sounding science-y into sounding like a species of Star Trek alien from a lazy writer



Good Ideas: These are the best Chevys to take back to school