Hyundai Azera History
The Hyundai Azera was considered Hyundai’s flagship vehicle until the larger Hyundai Genesis sedan was introduced. Currently the Azera is slotted between the midsize Sonata and the full-size Genesis. Sold under various nameplates worldwide, the Azera is known as the Grandeur in South Korea.
Early Hyundai Azera History
The Azera (Grandeur) was originally developed as a rebadged Mitsubishi Debonair produced by Hyundai in 1986. Unable to export the car, the first and second generation Grandeur was sold only in the South Korean market. The Grandeur was a status symbol vehicle in South Korea for many years, driven by Executives and businessmen primarily. Eventully the market expanded, and the Grandeur became South Korea’s best-selling car.
Hyundai completely rebuilt the Grandeur for its third generation, allowing them to export the vehicle legally. The United States first saw the Azera in 2006 in its fourth generation, and has continued to be a success not only in North America and South Korea, but also in China, South America, and the Middle East.
Since its introduction to the United States, the Azera is now sold in countries world-wide. Before the Genesis was introduced, the Azera was Hyundai’s most expensive and best-selling vehicle. Today’s fifth generation model was redesigned to incorporates Hyundai’s signature flowing body style and features a long list of impressive features and technologies, a comfortable cabin, appealing design, and respectable powertrain and efficiency.
Hyundai Azera Awards
Through the years, the Hyundai Azera as packed away a long list of impressive awards, making it one of the most sought-after cars on the market. Below the Azera’s awards according to Wikipedia.org are listed.
- 2006 Canadian Car of the Year awards: named “Best New Family Car”.
- Strategic Vision, 2007, named the “Winner Strategic Vision’s 2007 Total Quality Index (TQI) for the large car segment”.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance: “Best in Class” in the $25,000 to $30,000 category, 2007 Azera.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance: 2007 Car Buyer’s “Best of 2007 Cars” March 2007.
- Edmunds.com Editors Most Wanted – 2007
- Edmunds.com Editor’s Most Wanted Sedan Under $30,000
- Consumer’s Digest, 2007: “A Consumer’s Digest Best Buy”
- J.D. Power and Associates, 2006: “Most Appealing Large Car”
- IIHS, 2006, earned an overall “good” rating in the crash test, frontal offset impacts.
- AutoPacific, 2006: “Best in Class Vehicle Satisfaction, Large Luxury Car”
- Strategic Vision, 2006: “Winner Strategic Vision’s 2006 Total Value Award for Best Large Car Ownership Experience”
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.