2016 Subaru Impreza Overview
Subaru intends to implement an all-new global architecture in the coming years, starting with the 2017 Subaru Impreza. It’s no surprise then that the 2016 model feels a little neglected, in terms of new features over last year. Still, the 2016 Impreza is a capable model, and highly safe. Consider an Impreza for your next purchase if you have your eyes on a sedan or hatchback.
The 2016 Subaru Impreza is available as a four-door or five-door model in varying trims. The five-door model is available in five trims (hey, that’s easy to remember): 2.0i, 2.0i Premium, 2.0i Limited, 2.0i Sport Premium, and 2.0i Sport Limited. The four-door model, on the other hand, is only available in two trims: 2.0i Premium and 2.0i Limited.
Why Drive Subaru? The Subaru Love Promise
What’s New for the 2016 Subaru Impreza?
Not much. Given that the 2015 Impreza just got a mid-cycle refresh and the 2017 Impreza will usher in the complete redesign as we enter into the next generation, Subaru didn’t do much to change up the upcoming Impreza. The biggest upgrade is the SUBARU STARLINK infotainment system, which includes features like automatic collision notification, stolen vehicle recovery, monthly vehicle health reports, and remote vehicle services. Pricing for the 2016 Subaru Impreza increases by slight, varied amounts, depending on trim level.
2016 Subaru Impreza Exterior
The all-new Impreza is offered in four- and five-door body styles (sedan and hatchback). The four-door model stands at 180.5 inches in length, 68.5 inches in width, and 57.7 inches in height, with a 104.1-inch wheelbase. The five-door hatchback measures in at 174 inches in length, 68.5 inches in width, and 59.5 inches in height (with roof rails), also with a 101.1-inch wheelbase.
Drivers have a variety of color options to choose from, depending on trim, including Crystal White Pearl, Dark Gray Metallic, Venetian Red Pearl, Ice Silver Metallic, Quartz Blue Pearl, Crystal Black Silica, Jasmine Green Metallic, and Dark Blue Metallic. Features include multi-reflector halogen lights, side rocker moldings, and a rear spoiler. Complete features are listed out below.
Exterior Features on the 2.0i
- 15-inch x 6.0-inch steel wheels with wheel covers, 195/65 R15 89H all-season tires, Multi-reflector halogen lights, Rear spoiler, Black folding side mirrors, Body-color door handles, Two-speed windshield wipers with variable intermittent mode and mist feature, Single-speed rear window wiper with fixed intermittent mode (5-door only)
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the 2.0i Premium
- 16-inch x 6.5-inch 10-spoke aluminum wheels, 205/55 R16 89V all-season tires, Body-color folding side mirrors, Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the 2.0i Limited
- 17 x 7.0-inch 15-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels, 205/50 R17 88V all-season tires, Fog lights, Body-color folding side mirrors with integrated turn signal
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the 2.0i Sport Premium and 2.0i Sport Limited
- 17 x 7.0-inch 5-hole aluminum-alloy wheels with gray finish, 205/50 R17 88V all-season tires, Raised roof rails with black finish, Side rocker moldings, Fog lights, Body-color folding side mirrors with integrated turn signal
2016 Subaru Impreza Performance
All models of the 2016 Subaru Impreza are powered by a 2.0-liter DOHC aluminum-alloy 16-valve horizontally opposed SUBARU BOXER® four-cylinder engine with Dual Active Valve Control System. On the 2.0i base trim, that engine is paired with a fully synchronized five-speed manual transmission; the other trims utilize a Lineatronic® CVT with six-speed manual model, Incline Start Assist, and paddle shifters. All Impreza models are built on Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive platform and deliver 148 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque.
2016 Subaru Impreza Efficiency
The 2016 Subaru Impreza yields a healthy 28 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway in the 2.0i base, the 2.0i Premium, and the 2.0i Limited trims. Opting for the Sport variants of the Premium and Limited trims will bring efficiency down by a mile per gallon to 27 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.
2016 Subaru Impreza Interior
The interior of the Impreza sedan is incredibly roomy, with 96.9 cubic feet of passenger volume and 12.0 cubic feet of cargo volume. The hatchback is even roomier, with 97.5 cubic feet of passenger volume and 22.5 cubic feet of cargo volume. Maximum cargo volume with the rear seat lowered comes in at 52.4 cubic feet.
The interior is marked by features such as a lockable glove box, Bluetooth® audio streaming, heated front seats, a voice-activated GPS, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handles, depending on trim. Find a complete list of standard features by trim below.
Interior Features on the 2.0i
- Interior: 6-way manually adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40-split fold-down rear seatback, Tricot upholstery, Power windows with driver’s auto-up/-down, Power side mirrors, 3-spoke steering wheel with integrated controls, Manually adjustable tilt/telescoping steering column, Dual cup holders in center console, Single bottle holder in each door panel, Sunvisors with concealed vanity mirrors, Lockable glove box, Cargo-area with 2 grocery bag hooks and 4 tie-dorwn hooks (5-door only), Cargo-area underfloor storage (5-door only), Manually adjustable CFC-free air conditioning system
- Radio and Technology: Analog speedometer/tachometer/eco fuel economy/fuel level gauges, Digital odometer with dual-mode trip function, Digital trip computer, 6.2-inch high-resolution touch-screen HD Radio® audio system with SUBARU STARLINK(TM in-vehicle technology, Single-disc CD player, 4 speakers, USB port/iPod® control, Bluetooth® audio streaming, Hands-free phone connectivity
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Premium
- Interior: Heated front seats (All-Weather Package), Center console with adjustable armrest lid, Retractable and removable cargo area cover (5-door only)
- Radio and Technology: Lineartronic® CVT paddle shifters, 6 speakers
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Limited
- Interior: Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, Leather-trimmed upholstery, Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with integrated controls, Folding rear seat armrest with dual cupholders, Automatic climate control system
- Radio and Technology: Color LCD display, STARLINK Safety & Security connected services (Automatic Collision Notification/SOS Emergency Assistance/Enhanced Roadside Assistance/Stolen Vehicle Recover/diagnostic services function/security services function/remote services function), Dual USB ports, Voice-activated 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen HD Radio® premium audio system with SUBARU STARLINK™ in-vehicle technology, SiriusXM™ All-Access Radio and Travel Link, Voice-activated GPS navigation system with 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Sport Premium
- Interior: Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handles
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Sport Limited
- Interior: Leather-trimmed upholstery, Automatic climate control system
- Radio and Technology: Color LCD display, STARLINK Safety & Security connected services (Automatic Collision Notification/SOS Emergency Assistance/Enhanced Roadside Assistance/Stolen Vehicle Recover/diagnostic services function/security services function/remote services function), Lineatronic® CVT paddle shifters, Dual USB ports, Voice-activated 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen HD Radio® premium audio system with SUBARU STARLINK™ in-vehicle technology, SiriusXM™ All-Access Radio and Travel Link, Voice-activated GPS navigation system with 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen
2016 Subaru Impreza Safety
The 2016 Subaru Impreza employs a number of active and passive safety features. Below is a list of features standard across the entire Impreza lineup.
- Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Vehicle Dynamics Control
- 4-wheel antilock braking system
- Brake Assist
- Daytime Running Lights
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Rear vision camera
- Driver’s and front passenger’s front airbags
- Subaru advanced frontal airbag system
- Seat-mounted front seat side pelvis/torso airbags
- Side-curtain airbags protecting front and rear outboard occupants
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Height- and tilt-adjustable active front-seat head restraints
- Height-adjustable 3-point front seatbelts
- Rear child-safety door locks
- LATCH system
- Keyless entry system
- Anti-theft security system
- Engine immobilizer
- Tim ShultsContributor
Tim Shults is the President of the Shults Auto Group. In his spare time he likes to play golf and spend time with his four daughters. Shults Auto Group is the largest auto group in the Southern tier. With over 400 employees, Shults Auto Group has 11 different dealerships carrying 15 different makes and 2 strictly used car stores, Shults Toyota, Ed Shults Chevrolet Cadillac, Shults Chevrolet of Westfield, Edmond Chevrolet Buick GMC, Ed Shults Ford Lincoln of Jamestown, Kia of Jamestown, Ed Shults Subaru of Warren, Shults Hyundai, Ed Shults Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Warren, Shults Resale, Shults Resale Olean, and Shults Nissan.