2015 Jeep Renegade Takes the Stage at Geneva
Because I have never been good with time zones, I’ll just say that the 2015 Jeep Renegade made its debut recently over at the Geneva Motor Show, and damn, do I wish I were there to see it in person. The 2015 Jeep Renegade is the all-American brand’s first foray into the small SUV segment, but it still maintains the rugged spirit of adventure that Jeep has come to epitomize. According to Jeep’s official press release, the Renegade delivers best-in-class off-road capability and is featured with the segment’s first nine-speed automatic gearbox for enhanced on- and off-road driving dynamics. Under the hood are some of the most fuel-efficient engines that Jeep offers, and behind the wheel is a host of exciting and innovative technologies.
“The all-new 2015 Jeep Renegade expands the brand’s product portfolio and targets the rapidly expanding small SUV segment around the globe with benchmark levels of efficiency and driving dynamics, while at the same time delivering best-in-class 4×4 capability that customers expect from Jeep,” said Mike Manley, President and CEO, Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. “Renegade symbolizes the brand’s renowned American design, ingenuity and innovation, marking the Jeep brand’s first entry into the small SUV segment in more than 100 markets around the globe.”
And because those 100 markets include the United States, you have a right to start screaming wildly and running around the office like there are bees in your hair. (Or, you know, you could just smile with interest as you sip your morning coffee…however you’d like to react.)
So let’s break it down a bit; here’s all you need to know about the 2015 Jeep Renegade following its debut:
- The 2015 Jeep Renegade features two highly advanced and highly intelligent 4×4 systems (dare I say best-in-class?), which can provide all of the engine’s available torque to the ground for optimal grip—through any wheel. These two systems, each of which includes a Selec-Terrain system with up to five modes—Auto, Snow, Sand, Mud, and Rock (Trailhawk model only)—include the following:
- Jeep Active Drive—this is a full-time 4×4 system
- Jeep Active Drive Low—this is a class-exclusive 4×4 system that features 20:1 crawl ratio
- The Renegade is the only small SUV to offer a disconnecting rear axle and power take-off unit for improved efficiency.
- The interior’s design language has been cleverly titled “Tek-Tonic,” which Jeep says is “defined by the intersections of soft and tactile forms with rugged and functional details.” Other interior features to watch out for include the following:
- Protective clamp fasteners
- Removable, reversible, and height-adjustable cargo floor panel and fold-forward front-passenger seat
- Passenger grab handle that you might recognize from the Wrangler
2015 Jeep Renegade Interior Photos
- The nine-speed automatic transmission (like the one featured in the Jeep Cherokee) is the first of its kind to make its way to the small SUV segment. With this transmission (mated to either a 2.0-liter MultiJet II diesel engine or a 2.4-liter MultiAir2 gas engine), the 2015 Jeep Renegade will see boosted fuel economy and smoother power delivery, not to mention some badass launches.
- As far as powertrains go, the Renegade is the most versatile Jeep to date, offering 16 powertrain combos, tailored to specific markets across the globe. Drivers can choose among the following:
- E.torQ engine (flex-fuel capable)
- Four MultiAir gas engines
- Two MultiJet II diesel engines
- Stop&Start tech (for reduced emissions)
- Nine-speed automatic transmission
- Two manual/one dual-dry clutch transmissions
- The 2015 Jeep Renegade is the first small SUV from the Chrysler Group to utilize the “small-wide 4×4 architecture.” Handling and road-holding is enhanced by Koni’s frequency selective damping front and rear strut system.
- The My Sky open-air roof system gives occupants a sense of freedom, much like the iconic Wills MB Jeep of 1941.
- Technologies for the 2015 Jeep Renegade include Uconnect Access, Uconnect touchscreens, and a full-color instrument cluster display—the largest in the segment.
- On top of that, the Renegade includes up to 70 advanced safety features, including LaneSense Departure Warning-Plus, Ford Collision Warning-Plus, Blind-Spot Monitoring, electronic stability control with electronic roll mitigation and seven airbags, Rear Cross Path detection, and a ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines.
- The Trailhawk model has extra goodies for the boldest of drivers, delivering best-in-class Trail Rated 4×4 capability.
2015 Jeep Renegade Limited Photos
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Photos
The 2015 Jeep Renegade was designed here in the States and created in Italy. Final assembly will take place at the Melfi Assembly Plant, but powertrain production will take place in Italy, Brazil, and here in the U.S.
Timothy Moore takes his leadership inspiration from Michael Scott, his writing inspiration from Mark Twain, and his dancing inspiration from every drunk white guy at a wedding. When Tim is not writing about cars and money, he’s working on his novel or reading someone else’s, geeking out over strategy board games, hiking with his pooch, or channeling his inner Linda Belcher over beers with his friends. See more articles by Timothy.