2016 Honda Pilot Overview
The fully-redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot is now in dealerships, carrying with it a starting manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $29,995, not including the $880 destination charge. The newest model of the third-generation Pilot offers a lot of changes, including a new and improved powertrain and fresh safety and technology features.
What’s New for the 2016 Honda Pilot?
The 2016 Honda Pilot features a more powerful and efficient 3.5-liter i-VTEC engine, an upgraded suite of Honda Sensing safety and driver-assistive technologies, more USB outlets, and more premium features, including the new top-of-the-line “Elite” grade, which is priced at $46,420.
The 2016 Honda Pilot is available in five different trims: the Pilot LX, Pilot EX, Pilot EX-L, Pilot Touring, and the all-new Pilot Elite. All trims are offered with either 2WD or AWD, except the Pilot Elite, which is equipped with standard AWD.
2016 Honda Pilot Photos:
2016 Honda Pilot Exterior
Fully redesigned by Honda R&D in Los Angeles and Ohio, the 2016 Pilot boasts a sleeker, more CR-V-like exterior than the rather boxy 2015 model. Utilizing the next generation of Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, the 2016 Pilot also aims to improve upon the crashworthiness of the previous edition.
2016 Honda Pilot Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Pilot LX:
- Rear privacy glass, Intermittent rear window wiper/washer, Multi-reflector halogen headlights with auto-off, LED brak lights, Integrated glass antennae, Security system.
Exterior available on the Pilot EX:
- Fog lamps, Smart entry, Programmable Remote Entry
Exterior available on the Pilot EX-L:
- One-Touch Power Moonroof with Tilt Feature, Power Tailgate, Acoustic Windshield Glass
Exterior available on the Pilot Touring:
- Roof Rails, Acoustic Front Door Glass
Exterior available on the Pilot Elite:
- Panoramic Roof, LED Headlights with Auto-on/off
2016 Honda Pilot Performance
The 2016 Honda Pilot’s 280-horsepower, directed-injected 3.5-liter i-VTEC V6 engine improves upon the previous powertrain by adding 30 ponies and yielding a segment-best EPA combined fuel economy rating of 23 mpg for the 2WD model equipped with a nine-speed automatic transmission. The new V6 can be mated to either a six- or nine-speed automatic transmission, as well as an all-new available intelligent variable torque management (i-VTM4) AWD system, with Intelligent Traction Management and torque vectoring capability. When equipped with the new system, it’s the most powerful Pilot that Honda’s ever offered.
2016 Honda Pilot Efficiency
A 2016 Pilot with 2WD has a fuel economy slash line of 19/27/22 mpg in city, highway, and combined traffic (except for the 2WD Touring trim, which improves to 20/27/23 mpg). For AWD models, those numbers dip to 18/26/21 mpg (19/26/22 mpg for Touring and Elite AWD models).
The 2016 Pilot’s fuel economy ratings have improved by as much as 2/2/2 mpg over the 2015 model, solidifying its position as the most fuel-efficient mid-size SUV on the market.
2016 Honda Pilot Interior
Inside, the three-row 2016 Honda Pilot seats eight passengers a bit more comfortably than the 2015 model, with an added inch of tandem seating distance and a 1.3-inch longer cargo area. For maximum connectivity, the Pilot now offers up to four 2.5-amp USB outlets to accommodate a modern family’s array of digital devices. There’s also a host of other standard and optional interior features available.
2016 Honda Pilot Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Pilot LX:
- Head restraints at all seating positions, Cargo area light, Sliding Sun visors, Hidden storage wall, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Power door and tailgate locks
Interior available on the Pilot EX:
- Conversation Mirror with Sunglasses Holder, HomeLink® Remote System, Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control System with Humidity control and air filtration
Interior available on the Pilot EX-L:
- Automatic Dimming Rearview Mirror, Leather wrapped steering wheel, One-Touch 2nd Row Seats, Heated Front Seats, Leather-trimmed interior
Interior available on the Pilot Touring:
- Courtesy Door Lights, Blue Ambient LED Lighting, Rear Entertainment System with Blu-ray, Integrated Sunshades in the 2nd row
Interior available on the Pilot Elite:
- Heated Steering wheel, All-row floor mats, Perforated/Heated/Ventilated Front Seats
2016 Honda Pilot Safety
The 2016 Honda Pilot has not yet undergone IIHS or NHTSA crash testing, but Honda anticipates high safety ratings from both institutions. The new Pilot also offers the most comprehensive suite of Honda Sensing advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies ever before made available on a Honda vehicle, including two Honda-first technologies: Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) system and Rear Cross Traffic Monitor.
Standard Safety Features:
- Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control
- Anti-Lock Braking System
- Electronic Brake Distribution
- Brake Assist
- Multi-angle rearview camera
- SmartVent® Front Side Airbags
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering Body Structure
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System