2016 Subaru Crosstrek Overview
The 2016 Subaru Crosstrek ditches the XV from its name (previous model years were called the Subaru XV Crosstrek). The all-new Crosstrek, like all Subarus, is built to take drivers and passengers off-road, but is a viable, safe, and efficient option for families of small and moderate sizes.
The 2016 Subaru Crosstrek is available in five trims: 2.0i, 2.0i Premium, 2.0i Limited, Hybrid, and Hybrid Touring.
Why Drive Subaru? The Subaru Love Promise
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek?
For the 2016 model year, the Subaru Crosstrek boasts a new hybrid powertrain and cosmetic changes in the grille, fascia, bumper, and headlights.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Photos:
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Exterior
Based on the Subaru Impreza compact, the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek is largely comprised of the same materials. Differences include a raised suspension for more ground clearance (8.7 inches), restyled bumpers, and body cladding. The hybrid models receive a glossy black grille. Gasoline models boast new wheels. All models receive a new grille, bumper, fascia, and headlight design. Finishing up the Subaru Crosstrek’s look is a utility-oriented roof rack.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Exterior Photos:
Exterior Features on the 2.0i
- 17 x 7.0-inch aluminum-alloy dark gray wheels with machined finish, 22/55 R17 95H all-season tires, Multi-reflector halogen headlights, Fog lights, Rear spoiler, Black folding side mirrors, Body-color door handles, Two-speed windshield wipers with variable-intermittent mode and mist feature, Single-speed rear window wiper with fixed-intermittent mode, Raised roof rails with black finish, Wheel arch cladding
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the 2.0i Premium
- Body-color folding side mirrors, Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the 2.0i Limited
- Auto-on/off headlights, Body-color folding side mirrors with integrated turn signals
Additional/Replacement exterior features on the Hybrid and Hybrid Touring
- 17 x 7.0-inch aerodynamic aluminum-alloy dark gray wheels with machined finish, 225/55 R17 95H low-rolling resistance all-season tires, Extended rear spoiler, Body-color door handles with chrome accent, LED taillights
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Performance
The 2016 Subaru Crosstrek’s base engine is the Impreza’s 2.0-liter four-cylinder. The flat-four engine puts out 148 hp and 145 lb-ft of torque. The new hybrid powertrain adds a 10 kW electric motor to a specially tuned 2.0-liter engine and Continuous Variable Transmission to create 160 hp and 163 lb-ft of torque. The battery pack reduces cargo space by just 1.7 cubic feet due to its location under the rear deck floor. Its 148 hp and 48 lb-ft of torque is enough to get the crossover moving.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Efficiency
The non-hybrid Crosstrek earns an EPA-estimated 26 mpg city and 34 mpg highway (29 mpg combined) with the Continuous Variable Transmission and 23/31 mpg city/highway (26 mpg combined) with the five-speed manual. The Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid model earns an EPA-estimated 30 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway for a 31 mpg combined rating.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Interior
The Subaru Crosstrek’s interior is both stylish and utility driven. The dash is sporty but simple with the instruments and steering-wheel controls exactly where you’d expect them to be. Straight lines keep it simple, maximizing interior space. For 2016’s refresh, the interior also receives gloss-black and silver dash trim. All models get nighttime LED illumination under the radio as well.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Interior Photos”
Interior Features on the 2.0i
- Interior: 6-way manually adjustable driver’s seat, 4-way manually adjustable front-passenger’s seat, 60/40-split fold-down rear seatbacks, Cloth upholstery, Silver metallic accent trim, Analog speedometer, Analog tachometer, Analog “eco” fuel economy, Analog fuel level gauges, Digital odometer with dual mode trip function, Multi-function display, Power windows with driver’s auto up/down, Power side mirrors, 3-spoke steering wheel with integrated controls, Manually adjustable tilt/telescoping steering column, Dual cup holders in center console, Single bottle holder in each door panel, Sun visors with concealed vanity mirrors, Center console with storage tray and 12-volt power outlet, Illuminated and lockable glove box, Cargo-area with 2 grocery bag hooks and 4 tie-down hooks, Manually adjustable CFC-free air conditioning system
- Radio and Technology: Rear-vision camera, 6.2-inch high-resolution touch-screen HD Radio® audio system, SUBARU STARLINK™ in-vehicle technology, single-disc CD player, 4 speakers, USB port/iPod® control, Bluetooth® audio streaming, hands-free phone connectivity
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Premium
- Interior: Heated front seats (All-Weather Package), Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with integrated controls, Rear cargo tray, Retractable and removable cargo area cover
- Radio and Technology: 6 speakers
Additional/Replacement interior features on the 2.0i Limited
- Interior: Leather-trimmed upholstery, Linartronic® CVT paddle shifters, Folding rear seat armrest with dual cup holders, Automatic climate control system with air filtration
- Radio and Technology: Color LCD display, STARLINK Safety and Security connected services (Automatic Collision Notification/SOS Emergency Assistance/Enhanced Roadside Assistance/Stolen Vehicle Recover/diagnostic functions/security functions/remote services functions), Dual USB ports, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
Additional/Replacement interior features on the Hybrid
- Interior: Multi-function display with hybrid system information, Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
Additional/Replacement interior features on the Hybrid Touring
- Radio and Technology: Voice-activated 7-inch high-resolution touch-screen HD Radio® premium audio system and navigation system, SiriusXM™ All-Access Radio, Travel Link and Traffic
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Safety
The 2016 Subaru Crosstrek features the automaker’s EyeSight active-safety suite. That suite features adaptive cruise control, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Blind Spot Detection, and more. In government safety tests, the Crosstrek earned five stars overall. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek a “Top Safety Pick+.”
Standard Safety Features
- Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Vehicle Dynamics Control
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system
- Brake Assist
- Daytime Running Lights
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Driver’s and front passenger’s front airbags
- Subaru advanced frontal airbag system
- Seat-mounted front seat side pelvis/torso airbags
- Side-curtain airbags protecting front and rear outboard occupants
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Rollover sensor
- Height- and tilt-adjustable 3-point front-seat head restraints
- Height-adjustable 3-point front seatbelts
- Rear child-safety door locks
- LATCH system
- Ring-shaped reinforcement frame
- Keyless entry system
- Anti-theft security system
- Engine immobilizer
Research: Why Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive?
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.