2017 BMW i8 Overview
Contrary to popular belief, electric vehicles don’t have to look boxy and awkward. At least not when you have the 2017 BMW i8 out on the road. Ever since it was first introduced in 2014, the i8 has revolutionized the way that drivers view electric vehicles.
In its ongoing mission to always move forward, BMW has made so pretty impressive improvements to its luxury electric coupe. Working together, those improvements make the 2017 BMW i8 the most sought-after electric vehicle on the market today.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 BMW i8
To add a bit more flavor to the BMW i8 lineup, BMW has released the Protonic Red Edition package for the 2017 model of the BMW i8. This specialized package offers drivers a unique paint job, a special body trim, distinctive wheels, and an assembly of custom seats.
Additional 2017 BMW i8 Photos:
2017 BMW i8 Exterior
With a sleek and elegant look, the BMW i8 looks quite a bit different from your average electric vehicle. It also includes exterior features you won’t find on other electric models.
Distinctive BMW i “U-shape” LED brakelights and daytime running lights provide the i8 with a look all its own. Meanwhile, features like rain-sensing windshield wipers make the 2017 BMW i8 a practical choice as well.
2017 BMW i8 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 BMW i8:
- BMW i W Spoke light alloy wheels, Metallic paint, Two-tone aluminum engine-compartment lid in high-gloss black and body color, High-gloss black mirror caps with integrated directional indicators, Power-folding and heated side mirrors, Lightweight aluminum doors and hood, Scissor door design with lifting and turning function upward toward the front, LED headlights and LED accent lights with BMW i “U-shape” LED Daytime Running Lights, Carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic roof with UV protection and tinted clear vision coating, Shadowline exterior trim, BMW i “U-shape” LED brakelights, Two-tone horn, Rain-sensing windshield wipers with adjustable speed and automatic headlight control
2017 BMW i8 Performance
The 1.5-liter TwinPower Turbo three-cylinder engine that powers the BMW i8 produces up to 228 horsepower. Meanwhile, its AC Synchronous Electric Motor produces an additional 129 horsepower. Combine these two together, and they produce a total hybrid power output of 357 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque.
2017 BMW i8 Efficiency
Above all else, the 2017 BMW i8 is an efficient vehicle model. It is an electric hybrid after all. But just how efficient is the BMW i8?
Using its advanced plug-in hybrid eDrive system, the BMW i8 is able to reach a fuel efficiency rating of 76 MPGe. For the amount of performance that the BMW i8 can produce, you get an incredible amount of efficiency in return.
2017 BMW i8 Interior
Because the i8 carries that BMW badge, you can rest assured that it is just as luxurious as any other BMW vehicle. It also happens to be one of the most advanced BMW vehicles on the market.
Interior amenities like three-stage heated front seats create an aura of comfort within the i8’s cabin. However, it is progressive technology like the iDrive system with on-board computer and touchpad Controller that truly demonstrate just how advanced this electric model is.
2017 BMW i8 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 BMW i8:
- Six-way power front seats, Three-stage heated front seats, Rear storage compartment cover, Mega Carum Spice Gray Leather upholstery with Cloth highlight, Three-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with paddle shifters, Luggage compartment with foldable cover, Automatic two-zone climate control, BMW Ambiance lighting with LED lights package
Technology available on the 2017 BMW i8:
- iDrive system with on-board computer and touchpad Controller, Eight programmable memory buttons, BMW TeleService, BMW Online with MyInfo and BMW Apps, On-board computer with Check Control, Full-color Head-up Display (HUD), Advanced Real Time Traffic Information, BMW i Remote App, Enhanced USB and Bluetooth®, BMW Connected App Compatibility, HD Radio™ with “multicast” FM station reception, Harman Kardon® Premium Sound Audio System with vehicle-specific equalizing and powerful 360-watt amplifier, Start/Stop button, Park Distance Control, Advanced Vehicle & Key Memory
2017 BMW i8 Safety
Of course, all of these truly incredible advancements would be for not if the BMW i8 wasn’t also a safe vehicle. Fortunately, drivers can rest assured that the i8 is one of BMW’s safest vehicles.
Included in the 2017 BMW i8’s suite of safety features are the following:
- Mobility tire-repair kit
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- BMW Assist eCall™ includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
- Front and rear safety belts with automatic-locking retractors (ALR), automatic pretensioners and safety-belt force limiter
- LATCH attachments for child-restraint safety installation
- Coded Driveaway Protection
- Impact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of starter generator, fuel pump and high-voltage battery; automatically unlocks doors; turns on hazard and interior lights