2017 GMC Canyon Overview
The GMC Canyon mid-size pickup truck returns for the 2017 model year with a plethora of updates, including new powertrain options, as well as a range-topping Denali trim level. The 2017 Canyon manages to differentiate itself from its corporate cousin, the Chevy Colorado, thanks to a tasteful and classy exterior design that looks quite similar to the full-size Sierra pickup. In addition, with a starting MSRP of only $20,940, there’s a Canyon variant that fits the needs and wants of almost any consumer, whether it’s the entry-level SL for work purposes or the new All Terrain X for those people with serious off-road intentions. The new 2017 Canyon competes for sales with the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Honda Ridgeline.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 GMC Canyon?
It might be simpler to list what isn’t new about the 2017 GMC Canyon. For starters, the Canyon gets a new top-level Denali trim for 2017, which provides unique exterior design elements and air-conditioned seats. The All-Terrain X package is also available for the new model year. This optional package includes Goodyear Duratrac all-terrain tires, skid plates, and a unique suspension that’s been specially-tuned to handle off-road situations. Lastly, the V6 offered in last year’s Canyon has been replaced with a more powerful V6, while a new diesel engine is also available.
2017 GMC Canyon Photos:
2017 GMC Canyon Exterior
The 2017 GMC Canyon looks like a shrunken version of the full-size Sierra pickup. The two trucks share the same sharp body lines, grille design, and eye-catching projector beam headlights. The new Canyon can be order with either a 5-foot 2-inch bed or a larger 6-foot 2-inch bed. Furthermore, the 6-foot 2-inch bed is offered with a bed extender that can increase its length all the way to eight feet. Standard features for the ‘17 GMC Canyon include 16-inch aluminum wheels and a Corner Step rear bumper. Those people looking for a real head-turning truck should consider the new Denali model. This luxury-oriented trim ups the ante with a polished exhaust tip, a scintillating chrome grille, and larger 20-inch machined aluminum wheels.
2017 GMC Canyon Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SL
- Corner Step rear bumper, LED signature projector-type headlamps, Cargo area lamps, Daytime running lamps, Manual-folding mirrors, 16-inch Ultra Silver Metallic cast aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon
- Contains the same features as the Canyon SL.
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon: Body color door handles, front fog lamps, spotted mirror, manual-folding body color mirrors, EZ-Lift and Lower tailgate, 17-inch Blade Silver Metallic cast aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon SLE: Power-adjustable heated chrome mirrors, Chrome door handles, Sliding rear window, 18-inch polished cast aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon SLT: Polished exhaust tip, Trailering package
2017 GMC Canyon Performance
The 2017 GMC Canyon comes standard with a 2.5-liter inline-4 engine that provides 200 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque. This is the only engine available with the Canyon that can be paired with the six-speed manual transmission. The 2017 Canyon is also offered with a revised six-cylinder motor that features variable valve timing, direct injection, and cylinder deactivation technology. That 3.6-liter V6 is good for 308 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque. Furthermore, a 2.8-liter turbo-diesel inline-4 is available if you need increased towing capability. This diesel engine is matched with a six-speed automatic gearbox, which helps the Canyon achieve a maximum trailering rating of 7,700 pounds.
2017 GMC Canyon Efficiency
The 2017 GMC Canyon equipped the optional diesel engine is able to achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy of up to 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway, but that rating only applies to the rear-wheel drive model. Opting for the four-wheel drive system will drop efficiency down to 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. Furthermore, when the truck is equipped with the new V6 and eight-speed automatic transmission, it can provide fuel economy of up to 18 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway. A 21-gallon fuel tank is standard on every 2017 GMC Canyon.
2017 GMC Canyon Interior
The interior of the 2017 GMC Canyon is extremely quiet thanks to the extensive use of sound-deadening equipment. GMC designers used triple door seals, an inlaid door design, and shear-style body mounts to make sure the cabin was comfortable to ride in whether out on the highway or when cruising through the city. Even the entry-level SL trim comes generously equipped with features such as a six-speaker audio system, single-zone air conditioning, and 4.2-inch display system. Those shoppers with enough cash to step up to the SLE trim will receive even more premium equipment in their truck, as that trim comes with an Intellilink infotainment system, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and SiriusXM Radio.
2017 GMC Canyon Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SL
- 4-way power driver’s seat, Single-zone manual air conditioning, Power door locks, Center dome interior lighting, Manual tilt steering column, Power windows, Manual day/night rearview mirror, Driver information display, Black vinyl floor covering, 2-way manual passenger seat, 6-speaker audio system, USB port on instrument panel, AM/FM stereo with 4.2-inch color display
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon SL: Floor carpeting, Floor mats
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon: Aluminum interior trim, Soft-touch instrument panel materials, Cruise control, Front dual reading lights, Manual tilt and telescopic steering column, Mounted audio controls on leather-wrapped steering wheel, Illuminated sliding vanity mirrors, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Overhead console, Multi-color driver info display, AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo, 8-inch diagonal color touch screen with Intellilink, 2 USB charging ports, Remote keyless entry, OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon SLE: Single-zone automatic air conditioning, heated driver and front passenger seats, 4-way power front passenger seat, Passenger and driver seats lumbar control, Remote vehicle start system
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Canyon Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on Canyon SLT: Bose 7-speaker audio system, Touch screen with Navigation system, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning
2017 GMC Canyon Safety
The GMC Canyon has yet to undergo all of the safety tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), but this mid-size truck did receive a “Good” rating for front-impact protection, as well as a “Basic” score for front crash prevention thanks to its optional forward collision warning system. Every 2017 Canyon comes standard with six standard airbags, a rear view camera, and trailer sway control. The Canyon also comes standard with Teen Driver technology which allows parents to track where and how fast the truck has been driven by secondary drivers, such as teenage children. Other advanced safety features available with the ‘17 Canyon include lane-departure warning and forward collision alert.
Standard Safety Features
- Rear Vision Camera
- Duralife 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
- StabiliTrack stability control system
- Electronic traction control
- Teen Driver mode
- Theft-deterrent system
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.