2017 Toyota Yaris iA Overview
The Toyota Yaris iA is one of several new models joining the 2017 Toyota lineup after the discontinuation of the Scion brand. Designed for young customers seeking a budget sedan, the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA offers a compelling combination of features, fun-to-drive attitude, and affordability.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA?
The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is a totally new model in the Toyota lineup, but one you’ve seen before under the Scion iA badge. Now that the Scion brand has been discontinued, the iA lives on under the Toyota Yaris nameplate—something it had already done for years outside of the United States market.
The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is offered in a single trim as a front-wheel-drive sedan with your choice of the following colors: Graphite, Frost, Chromium, Stealth, Sapphire, Abyss, and Pulse.
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Exterior
The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA boasts a sporty exterior characterized by Toyota’s signature piano-black accenting, standard 16-inch alloy wheels, and prominent character lines. The Yaris iA’s look is aggressive without being over the top, encouraging bystanders to give it a second glance without following this up with a roll of the eyes. Owners who do a lot of driving at night will also be happy to find that the multi-reflector headlights provide excellent visibility—in most cases better than cars equipped with modern halogen project beams.
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Yaris iA:
- 16-inch alloy wheels, 185/60R16 tires, Power outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, Variable intermittent front windshield wipers, Rear window defogger, Chrome-tipped exhaust, Daytime Running Lights, Halogen headlights
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Performance
Under the hood of the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is a 1.5-liter DOHC 16-valve four-cylinder engine designed by Mazda that produces 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque. Power is sent to the front wheels via either a standard six-speed manual or an optional six-speed automatic. Because the Yaris iA is fairly lightweight, it still feels punchy despite the fact that its power numbers barely break into the triple digits.
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Efficiency
The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is remarkably efficient for a non-hybrid car. It returns an EPA-estimated 30 mpg city, 39 mpg highway, and 34 mpg combined with the manual, and does even better with the automatic: 32 mpg city, 40 mpg highway, and 35 mpg combined. Drivers with a light foot can expect to save lots at the pump with this car.
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Interior
Despite being an entry-level budget sedan, the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA looks and feels surprisingly more sophisticated than you might expect. The materials don’t seem cheap and there’s plenty of legroom at the front and rear. The front seats are supportive, giving drivers an extra boost of confidence during spirited driving. The Yaris iA adheres to a single-spec packaging structure, which means that the standard features listed below are nearly everything the car has to offer, including Bluetooth, two USB ports, a six-speaker 7-inch display audio system, and a rearview camera.
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Interior Photos:
Interior available on Yaris iA:
- Features: Air conditioning, Backup camera, Power windows with driver-side auto up/down and jam protection, Power door locks, Remote keyless entry with Push Button Start, Digital clock, Analog speedometer, Tachometer, Trip meter, Tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio controls, Cruise control, Fabric-trimmed sport front bucket seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat and four-way adjustable passenger’s seat, Height-adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats, Dual sun visors with vanity mirrors, Four-piece carpeted floor mats
- Radio and Technology: Seven-inch touchscreen display audio, Integrated AM/FM antenna, Auxiliary audio input jack, Two USB ports with iPod® connectivity, Hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, Six speakers, AM/FM HD Radio™ Technology plus Connected Services Suite, Connected Service Suite with Pandora®, Voice recognition, Steering wheel controls
2017 Toyota Yaris iA Safety
The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA comes standard with antilock brakes, traction control, stability control, front-seat side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, and surprisingly, a low-speed forward collision warning system, which customers are unlikely to find anywhere else in the class, even as an option. It has yet to be rated by the IIHS or NHTSA, but the 2016 Scion iA was named an IIH Top Safety Pick+ last year and there’s no reason to believe the almost identical 2017 Toyota Yaris iA won’t be considered just as safe.
Standard Safety Features
- Low-Speed Pre-Collision System
- Active Safety System – includes Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Brake Over-ride System (BOS)
- Driver and front passenger airbag system
- Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags
- Front and rear side-curtain airbags
- Three-point seatbelts for all seating positions; driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractors (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- First aid kit
- Engine immobilizer
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.