2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Overview
The Hyundai Ioniq has introduced a new model as part of its nameplate: the Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). This sedan combines electric and gas power to produce a stunningly efficient and versatile powertrain. Plus, with options like heated leather seats and an eight-speaker sound system, the cabin is designed to be your home away from home.
The 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid is available in two trims: Plug-in Hybrid and Limited.
Be Prepared: 3 benefits to having an emergency kit in your car
What’s New for the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid?
The plug-in hybrid model of the Ioniq is completely new for the 2018 model year, giving you an entirely new option for eco-friendly driving. The Hyundai Ioniq PHEV combines gasoline and electric power for an efficient and peppy powertrain. The Ioniq is offered in a red exterior this year and, to improve safety, Hyundai added Lane Keep Assist to the Ioniq’s suite of driver-assist technologies.
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Photos:
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Exterior
With its exterior styling, the Hyundai Ioniq blends in with most other sedans on the road, though, its aggressive grille design and daring headlights give it quite the impressive entrance. Plus, the Ioniq comes with solar control glass and an available power tilt-and-slide sunroof.
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
- LED Daytime Running Lights; Heated, dual manual-folding, body-color, power side mirrors; Automatic headlight control; Rear window defroster; Rear spoiler; Door handle approach light; Solar control glass; Active grille shutters; LED taillights; Front windshield two-speed intermittent wipers with mist function; Projector headlights; Lower door side molding; Aero-type wiper design
Exterior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Limited
-Adds to or replaces features on Plug-in Hybrid-
- LED headlights, Side mirrors with turn signal indicators, Chrome beltline molding, Available HID headlights with LED light guide, Chrome accent door handles, Available power tilt-and-slide sunroof
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Performance
The Hyundai Ioniq PHEV combines a standard 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder gasoline engine with a 45kW interior-permanent magnet synchronous motor for optimum efficiency. The engine alone produces 104 horsepower and 109 lb-ft of torque, while adding the motor bumps up the Ioniq’s power rating to 139 horsepower.
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Efficiency
Of course, as a plug-in hybrid, efficiency is the Ioniq PHEV’s strong suit. In fact, you can drive 29 miles without using a drop of gasoline – just electric power. When combining its gasoline and electric power, the Ioniq PHEV earns an estimated 119 MPGe, or 52 mpg combined.
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Interior
The baseline Ioniq PHEV comes with a variety of luxurious interior features, including heated front seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. However, for the more high-end experience, you’ll probably want to opt for the Limited. The Limited comes with leather seats, and it offers more advanced audio systems and driver-assist technologies to improve safety.
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
- Interior: Heated front seats, 60/40-split fold-down rear seat back with adjustable head restraints and center armrest with cup holder, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Cargo cover, Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, Sun visor extensions, Tilt and telescopic steering wheel, Front passenger seat back pocket, Six-way driver and passenger seats with height adjustment, Power windows with driver’s auto-down/up, Premium cloth seating, Dual automatic temperature control
- Radio and Technology: Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, 7-inch display auto system with high-resolution touchscreen, Bluetooth hands-free phone system with voice recognition, Steering wheel-mounted audio with Bluetooth and cruise control, Smartphone/USB and auxiliary input jacks, Proximity Key entry with push-button start, Complimentary SiriusXM activation and three-month trial subscription, AM/FM/HD Radio/SiriusXM audio system
Interior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Limited
-Adds to or replaces features on Plug-in Hybrid-
- Interior: Floor console-mounted rear seat HVAC vents, Integrated Memory System (IMS) for driver seat, 10-way power driver seat including power lumbar support, Leather seating surfaces, Front passenger window auto-down/up, Premium door sill plates
- Radio and Technology: Available Blue Link Connected Car Service; Available Infinity Premium Audio with eight speakers including a center channel and subwoofer; Available LED interior illumination; Available auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink and compass; Available 8-inch navigation system with high-resolution touchscreen; Available Smart Cruise Control (SCC); Available Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection; Available Clari-Fi Music Restoration Technology; Available headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL); Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist; Available Blue Link Connected Care, Remote Package, and Guidance Package complimentary for three years with enrollment required; Available wireless device charging; Available Lane Keep Assist (LKA); 7-inch LCD instrument cluster
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Safety
The Hyundai Ioniq PHEV’s suite of safety features are designed to help prevent accidents and protect you should one occur. For example, Brake Assist (BA) helps you stop quickly in order to avoid a seemingly imminent collision. Front and rear crumple zones, as well as an airbag system, help absorb impact in the event of an accident.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Rearview camera
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Driver and front passenger side-impact airbags (SRS)
- Power window lock-out button
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual tire pressure indicator
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Side-curtain airbags (SRS) for front and rear passengers
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS) with Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Rear LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
A Second Sedan: Check out the new 2018 Hyundai Accent