2018 Nissan Altima Overview
The Nissan Altima is currently scheduled for a major redesign release later this year. Before the new model hits dealership lots, however, Nissan is sending off its current generation of Altimas in style.
The 2018 Nissan Altima receives some major upgrades in the area of technology. With these new features in place, the Altima takes its place as one of the industry’s most advanced sedans.
What’s New for the 2018 Nissan Altima?
The Nissan Altima’s technology lineup receives a major upgrade in 2018, with the addition of features like automatic emergency braking and forward-collision warning. The Altima also gains a trim in the form of the SR Special Edition.
The 2018 Nissan Altima is available in six separate trim levels: the 2.5 S, 2.5 SR, SR Special Edition, 2.5 SV, 2.5 SL, and 3.5 SL.
Additional 2018 Nissan Altima Photos:
The 2018 Nissan Altima’s exterior exemplifies the design signature that the Nissan brand has adopted. The sedan is also marked by a collection of standard exterior amenities, which includes UV-reducing solar glass and active grille shutters.
Exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 S:
- 16-inch x 7.0-inch steel wheels with bolt-on wheel covers, Intelligent auto headlights, Dual chrome exhaust finishers, Dual body-color power outside mirrors, Active grille shutters, UV-reducing solar glass, Variable intermittent speed-sensitive flat-blade windshield wipers
Additional exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SR:
- 18-inch x 7.5-inch machine finished aluminum-alloy wheels, Fog lights, Smoked headlight and taillight housings, Sport spoiler (only on SR and SR Special Edition trims)
Additional exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition:
- 18-inch x 7.5-inch gun metallic aluminum-alloy wheels
Additional exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV:
- 17-inch x 7.5-inch machine finished aluminum-alloy wheels
Additional exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL:
- Manual folding outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, Heated outside mirrors
Additional exterior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL:
- 18-inch x 7.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, LED signature headlights, Smoked headlight housing, Power sliding glass moonroof with one-touch open/close and tilt feature
Working tandem with the Xtronic CVT® (Continuously Variable Transmission), the Altima’s 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine model produces 179 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. If drivers need a little extra performance for their drive, they can always upgrade to the Altima’s 3.5 SL trim, which delivers 270 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque.
For a sedan of its size, the 2018 Nissan Altima manages to achieve some rather laudable fuel economy scores. Its standard fuel rating is 27/38 MPG City/Highway.
One of the main reasons the Nissan Altima has been a successful sedan for so long is the wide array of interior amenities it provides to passengers. Systems like a rear view monitor and Nissan Intelligent Key® come standard in the latest Altima.
Furthermore, higher trims in the Altima lineup include even more advanced in-vehicle tech. Interfaces like Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ have been added to the Altima for its latest model.
Interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 S:
- Comfort and Seating: In-cabin microfilter, Cruise control with steering-wheel mounted controls, Fine Vision electroluminescent gauges, Tilt and telescoping steering column, Overhead sunglasses holder, Lockable glove box, Dual-level center console, Front/rear door map pockets with bottle holders, Driver and front passenger seatback pockets, Six-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way manual adjustable front-passenger’s seat, Cloth seat trim, 60/40 split-fold-down rear seatbacks, Carpeted trunk lid trim, Air conditioning, Illuminated steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Technology: Siri® Eyes Free, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, RearView Monitor, Remote keyless entry, Nissan Intelligent Key® with push button ignition, Remote trunk release, Two 12-volt DC power outlets, Retained accessory power and battery saver, AM/FM/CD audio system with 5.0-inch color monitor, Six speakers, Radio Data System (RDS), Speed-sensitive volume control, Auxiliary audio input jack, USB port, MP3/WMA CD playback capability, Streaming audio via Bluetooth® wireless technology
Additional interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SR:
- Comfort and Seating: Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Sport cloth seat trim, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Additional interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition:
- Comfort and Seating: Sport Prima-Tex™ appointed seats, Heated front seats
- Technology: Nissan Navigation System, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, 7.0-inch multi-touch control color monitor, SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® with three-month complimentary trial access, Remote Engine Start System
Additional interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV:
- Comfort and Seating: Cloth seat trim, Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control
- Technology: Blind Spot Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Additional interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL:
- Technology: Bose® Premium Audio System, Nine speakers
Additional interior features available on the 2018 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL:
- Technology: Nissan Navigation System, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, 7.0-inch multi-touch control color monitor, SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® with three-month complimentary trial access, NissanConnect® Services powered by SiriusXM®, Nissan Voice Recognition for audio and navigation, Intelligent Cruise Control, AM/FM/CD audio system with 7.0-inch color monitor
The majority of the new technology allotted to the Nissan Altima for the 2018 model year can be found in the sedan’s standard safety suite. Such technologies include Intelligent Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking.
Of course, Altima drivers can still find all of the safety features that they are accustomed to. Safety staples like Vehicle Dynamic Control and the Zone Body Construction carry over into the 2018 Nissan Altima.
Standard safety features for the 2018 Nissan Altima include:
- Four-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
- Advanced Drive-Assist® Display
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat-belt and occupant-classification sensors
- Driver and front-passenger seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags
- Roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor for front- and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Intelligent Forward Collision Warning
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Three-point ALR/ELR seat belt system (ELR only for driver)
- LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Hood buckling creases and safety stops
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual tire pressure display and Easy-Fill Tire Alert