2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Overview
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV comes standard with a number of advanced safety features and offers consumers the choice between five unique engine options. Originally known as the M-Class, the GLE received significant updates for the 2016 model year and is even offered in a coupe variant. This overview focuses on the SUV model, which carries a starting MSRP of $52,000. Key competition for the ‘17 GLE SUV includes the Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, and Volvo XC90.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV?
After receiving significant updates for the 2016 model year, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV is largely a carryover model.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Photos:
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Exterior
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV has a sleek and modern design that’s highlighted by its eye-catching front grille, dual chrome exhaust tips, and 19-inch 5-spoke wheels, which all come standard on the entry-level GLE350 trim. In addition, standard LED daytime running lights add even more style to the front of the SUV, while both the driver and passengers can enjoy increased privacy thanks to the tinted windows. For those people who enjoy standing out from the crowd, Mercedes offers an Exterior Sport package, which provides larger 20-inch wheels and distinctive AMG body kit.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE350 SUV
- 19-inch 5-spoke wheels, All-season tires, Aluminum roof rails, Privacy glass, LED daytime running lamps, LED taillamps, Chrome highlights, Rear-bumper load sill, Power liftgate, Dual chrome exhaust tips
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE350 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: Side-mirror logo projectors
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE400 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: 20-inch AMG 5-spoke wheels, AMG body styling, ECO Start/Stop system
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE550e Plug-In Hybrid 4MATIC
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: 4-mode drive selector, Exclusive Hybrid design elements
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: 20-inch AMG 10-spoke titanium wheels, High-performance tires, Panorama roof
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: 21-inch AMG cross-spoke titanium wheels, Red-painted brake calipers
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Performance
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine and seven-speed automatic transmission, which work together to provide 302 horsepower and 283 lb-ft of torque. Rear-wheel drive comes standard on the entry-level GLE SUV, but all higher-level models feature 4MATIC all-wheel drive. There’s also a hybrid powertrain available on the GLE550e plug-in hybrid trim that supplies up to 436 horsepower. However, for the most power possible, consumers should take a look at the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S. This top-level GLE packs a handcrafted 5.5-liter biturbo V8 engine that pumps out 577 and 561 lb-ft of torque. With this twin-turbo motor, the Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S is able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.1 seconds.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Efficiency
The front-wheel drive Mercedes-Benz GLE350 SUV equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 engine yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. In contrast, the GLE550e Plug-In Hybrid SUV achieves EPA-estimated efficiency of up to 50 MPGe on the highway thanks to its unique powertrain. In addition, this hybrid model can travel up to 18 miles using only electric energy. However, those consumers who select high-performance AMG models will have to visit the fuel pumps a bit more often, as both AMG variants only yield 13 mpg in the city.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Interior
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV comes with a pleasant cabin that’s filled with soft-touch materials and numerous luxury amenities. Even the base model comes standard with heated front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, and the COMAND infotainment system with 8-inch display screen. For added creature comforts, there’s an optional Premium 1 package that adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, as well as a navigation system and 14-speaker Harman Kardon sound system. Also, in regards to storage space, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV supplies more than 38 cubic feet of cargo room behind the rear seats, while folding those seats downward increases maximum cargo capacity to more than 80 cubic feet.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE350 SUV
- 10-way power driver seat with memory, Heated front seats, Auto-dimming rearview and driver-side mirrors, SmartKey with keyless start, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Power tilt/sliding sunroof, 60/40 split rear seats, Power tilt/telescoping steering column, Power-folding side mirrors, Retractable luggage cover, Premium lighting, Eucalyptus wood trim, Nappa leather multifunction steering wheel, MB-Tex upholstery, Infrared-remote window opening and closing, Remote start via mbrace app, Brake HOLD feature, Central controller, 8-inch high-resolution color screen, Hands-free Bluetooth interface, Dual USB audio ports, HD Radio receiver, 5 years of Mercedes-Benz mbrace Connect Package
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE350 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: KEYLESS-GO, Leather upholstery, Household-type 115V power outlet, COMAND hard-drive navigation, No-charge navigation map updates for 3 years, SiriusXM radio with 6-month trial, 5 years of SiriusXM Traffic and Weather service, Harman/Kardon LOGIC7 sound system
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE400 4MATIC SUV
- Offers the same features on previous trim.
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE550e Plug-In Hybrid 4MATIC
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: Topstitched dashboard trim, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, Voic control, In-dash DVD/CD player with SD card reader, Rear Seat Entertainment system prewiring
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: Heated and ventilated front seats, AMG instrumentation, Brushed aluminum pedals, Sport interior appointments, AMG illuminated front door sills, Heated and cooled front cupholders, Heated steering wheel, Second-row side-window sunshades, Rear center-armrest pass-through, Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S 4MATIC SUV
- Adds to or replaces features on previous trim: Designo black DINAMICA headliner, AMG Nappa/DINAMICA Performance steering wheel, 14-way power AMG sport front seats
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Safety
Like most new vehicles, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV comes standard with an electronic stability program, antilock brakes, and 11-way airbag protection. However, Mercedes brings safety to another level with standard features such a Brake Assist, an advanced tire pressure monitoring system, and attention assist. The latter of which uses multiple sensors to determine if a driver is exhibiting drowsy driving behaviors and can then visually alert the driver of their actions. In addition, the Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV was named a 2016 IIHS Top Safety Pick+.
Standard Safety Features
- Active Brake Assist
- Crosswind Assist
- 11-way air bag protection
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
- Antitheft alarm system with remote panic feature
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Rearview camera
- Adaptive braking technology
- Body structure
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- LED Daytime Running Lamps and taillamps
- Antilock Braking System
- Advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Auto-dimming rearview and driver-side mirrors
- Trailer Stability Assist
- Seat belt technology
- Brake Assist
- SmartKey with keyless start
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.