2016 Ford Explorer Overview
Featuring a starting MSRP of only $31,050, the 2016 Ford Explorer is a SUV that the entire family can enjoy. Equipped with standard 18-inch alloy wheels, loads of available gadgets, two powerful engine options, and lots of cargo room, the 2016 Ford Explorer has a number of attractive features for even the pickiest of SUV enthusiasts.
The 2016 Ford Explorer is offered in five trim levels: base, XLT, Limited, Sport, and Platinum.
What’s New for the 2016 Ford Explorer?
The 2016 Ford Explorer comes with a newly designed grille, LED headlights, liftgate, exhaust tips, and fascia. The 2016 Ford Explorer also features a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine option, which replaces last year’s 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder. New to the 2016 is the Platinum trim, which features the best safety, luxury, and technology options Ford has to offer, including multi-adjustable Nirvana leather front seats and Premium Sound from Sony® with Clear Phase and Live Acoustics.
2016 Ford Explorer Photos:
2016 Ford Explorer Exterior
The exterior of the 2016 Ford Explorer features available 20-inch rims, a redesigned hood, and a unique grille for the 2016 model year. This sleek SUV also comes in a variety of exterior color options, such as: Platinum White, Ruby Red, Magnetic Metallic, Ignot Silver, Blue Jean, Guard Metallic, Bronze Fire Metallic, Caribou Metallic, and Shadow Black.
2016 Ford Explorer Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on 2016 Ford Explorer Base :
- 18-inch alloy wheels, Automatic LED headlights, LED taillights, Rear privacy glass, Roof rails
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer XLT :
- Adds to or replaces features on Base: Body-color door handles, Foglights, Heated exterior mirrors, Upgraded brakes, LED headlights, LED taillights
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer Limited:
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: Hands-free power liftgate, 20-inch wheels, Chrome exterior trim
Exterior available on 2016 Ford Explorer Sport:
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: 20-inch wheels, Sport-tuned suspension, Acoustic-laminate windshield glass, Power-folding side mirrors
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum :
- Adds to or replaces features on Limited: Automatic high beams, Chrome accents, LED Signature lighting, Automatic LED low-beam headlamps
2016 Ford Explorer Performance
The 2016 Ford Explorer comes with the choice of three powerful engines. The first option is the standard 3.5-liter V6 engine good for 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft of torque or you can select the available 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, which produces 270 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. Both of those engines are available for the Base, XLT, and Limited trims. The Sport and Platinum trims both feature an upgraded 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine capable of 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. All three available engine options for the 2016 Ford Explorer are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.
2016 Ford Explorer Efficiency
When equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 engine option, the 2016 Ford Explorer gets an EPA-estimated 17 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine is good for an EPA-estimated 19 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, while the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine, featured as part of the Sport and Platinum trims, also features decent fuel economy with an EPA-estimated 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.
2016 Ford Explorer Interior
The interior of the 2016 Ford Explorer features 50/50-split power-folding seating for added cargo room and the Platinum trim also features multi-adjustable Nirvana leather front seats. Other notable interior features include new a USB charging port for smartphones and iPods, as well as available heated second row seating that will come in handy during the cold winter months.
2016 Ford Explorer Interior Photos:
Interior available on 2016 Ford Explorer Base :
- Cruise control, Air-conditioning, 60/40-split second-row seat, 50/50-split third-row seat, Six-way power driver seat, 4.2-inch display screen
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer XLT :
- Adds to or replaces features on Base: Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Push-button ignition, Eight-way power driver seat, Six-way power front passenger seat
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer Limited :
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: Heated steering wheel, Heated second-row seats, Third-row 50/50-split power-folding seats, Ambient lighting, Leather upholstery
Interior available on 2016 Ford Explorer Sport:
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: Front-view camera, Driver memory settings, Power-adjustable pedals
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum:
- Adds to or replaces features on Limited: Leather seats with quilted inserts, Aluminum and wood interior trim, Dual-panel sunroof
2016 Ford Explorer Safety
The 2016 Ford Explorer comes with all the latest available safety features, including BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert, Hill Descent Control™, Intelligent 4WD, and Terrain Management System™. The 2016 Ford Explorer also received a five-star rating from the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration in both front and side crash tests.
Standard Safety Features
- Trailer sway control
- Stability and traction control
- Front-seat side airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Front passenger knee airbag
- Rearview camera
- Rear parking sensors (on all but Base trim level)
Is Ford On A Diet? Ford F-150 Wins Altair Enlighten Award for Weight Reduction