2016 Ford Flex Overview
Some people call the Ford Flex a wagon and others refer to it as a crossover SUV, but whatever you decide to call it, the 2016 Ford Flex offers a large number of premium features and three rows of seating, and it also comes available with an advanced all-wheel drive system. There are three trim levels offered for the 2016 Flex: SE, SEL, and Limited. The entry-level SE carries a starting MSRP of $29,600, and this offering from the Blue Oval competes with other three-row family haulers such as the Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse, and Honda Pilot.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2016 Ford Flex?
Every trim level of the Ford Flex now comes standard with a rearview camera. Additionally, the much complained about MyFord Touch system has been replaced with the new Sync 3 infotainment system.
2016 Ford Flex Photos:
2016 Ford Flex Exterior
The 2016 Ford Flex offers a one-of-a-kind exterior design that’s unlike anything else currently offered in the auto industry. The Flex’s boxy shape gives it character and also provides the vehicle with a spacious interior. The 2016 Flex comes standard with 17-inch wheels, rear privacy glass, and fog lights. Consumers also have the option of adding the Appearance Package to the SEL and Limited models, which provides the Flex with 20-inch black wheels and the option of adding a contrasting black roof. Exterior color options for the new Ford Flex include Shadow Black, Magnetic Metallic, and Ingot Silver Metallic.
2016 Ford Flex Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Flex SE
- 17-Inch Painted Aluminum Wheels, Halogen headlamps with autolamp feature and wiper activation, Intermittent speed-sensitive front windshield wipers, Bright Dual Exhaust Tips, Black beltline molding on sides and liftgate, Body-Color Door Handles, FLEX badge on leading edge of hood, Power heated mirrors, manual folding with integrated blind spot mirrors and molded in color black skull caps
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Flex SEL
- Adds to or replaces features on SE: 18-Inch Painted Aluminum Wheels, Stainless steel bright beltline molding on sides and liftgate, Fog lamps with bright bezel, Grooved Door Panels
Exterior available on the 2016 Ford Flex Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SEL: 19-Inch Painted Aluminum Wheels, Power Liftgate, HID Headlamps, LED Taillamps, Satin-aluminum appliqué on liftgate, Satin-Aluminum Finish Grille, Front and Rear chrome with aluminum insert scuff plates, Power heated mirrors with memory feature and security approach lamps, Monochromatic or Body-color roof (varies by exterior color selected)
2016 Ford Flex Performance
There are two engine options available for the 2016 Ford Flex that both come matched with a six-speed automatic transmission. The standard engine is a 3.5-liter V6 that provides 287 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque. The other engine is an EcoBoost 3.5-liter turbo V6 that supplies 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. In addition, consumers can choose between front-wheel and all-wheel drive, but the EcoBoost only comes matched with AWD. Furthermore, the 2016 Flex features a maximum towing capacity of up to 4,500 pounds.
2016 Ford Flex Efficiency
The 2016 Ford Flex features EPA-estimated fuel economy that’s comparable to both the Highlander and the Traverse. If consumers go with the base Flex equipped with the non-turbo V6 and FWD, then their machine will yield 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. The top-of-the-line Limited model, with the turbocharged V6 and AWD, yields 15 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway. The fuel tank of the new Flex comes in at 18.6 gallons.
2016 Ford Flex Interior
The 2016 Ford Flex comes with a spacious and high-tech cabin, which even boasts a rear-console refrigerator on the Limited trim. This refrigerator can reach as low as 23 degrees Fahrenheit and is an excellent place to store cold snacks and drinks for growing children. While critics have complimented the Flex’s spacious layout for years, there were many complaints about the MyFord Touch system, so Ford ditched it and replaced it with the new Sync 3 infotainment system, which is reportedly much more responsive and user friendly. The new Flex also provides up to 83 cubic feet of storage space with both rear seats folded down.
2016 Ford Flex Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Flex SE
- Cloth Seats – SE, 6-way power driver’s seat with 4-way manual front passenger seat, Second-Row 60/40 Bench Seat with Autofold Feature on passenger “40”, 3rd-row manual fold-flat-into-floor split 50/50 bench seat, Leather-wrapped shifter knob, Auto-dimming interior rearview mirror, Overhead console with dome/map lights and sunglass holder, Solar tinted glass for all windows, Manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel, Audio Input Jack and USB port, AM/FM Stereo with Single-CD Player, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, SYNC® with MyFord, MyKey, 12-Volt Powerpoints (4)
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Flex SEL
- Adds to or replaces features on SE: Multi-Panel Vista Roof, 10-way power driver’s seat, 6-way power passenger seat with manual recline and lumbar, Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, San Macassar Wood Appearance Appliqués, Remote Start System, Intelligent access with push-button start, SYNC® 3
Interior available on the 2016 Ford Flex Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SEL: Perforated Leather-Trimmed First- and Second-Row Seats, Ambient Lighting, Perforated Leather-wrapped steering wheel with wood inlay and cruise, Yoho Maple Cross appliqué on IP and door inserts, Memory feature for driver’s seat/exterior mirrors/power-adjustable foot pedals, Rear view camera with backup assist grid lines, Audio System from Sony® with 12 speakers, Navigation System with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link, HD Radio™ Technology, BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert
2016 Ford Flex Safety
Like other new Ford models, the 2016 Flex comes with Ford’s MyKey technology, which allows owners to preset the vehicle’s top-speed and stereo volume for when other drivers are operating their vehicle. In crash testing performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2016 Flex scored the highest rating of ‘Good” in the side-impact, head-restraint, and roof-strength tests, but only earned the second-best rating of “acceptable” in the difficult small-overlap frontal-offset impact examination.
Standard Safety Features
- Personal Safety System™
- Front-passenger Sensing System
- Safety Cage Construction
- Safety Canopy® System
- Front seat-mounted side airbags
- Height-adjustable front-seat safety belts with Belt-Minder®
- Child-safety rear door locks
- LATCH – Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system
- Perimeter anti-theft alarm
- Remote Keyless Entry System
- SecuriCode™ Keyless Entry Keypad
- Illuminated entry with theatre-dimming lighting
- Rear view camera with backup assist grid lines