2016 Lexus RX Overview
The Lexus RX SUV plays a big part in Lexus’s model lineup as one of the first crossovers the brand offered for sale. An IIHS Top Safety Pick+ with dramatic style, owners will feel secure in their choice as they turn heads on their daily drive.
The 2016 Lexus RX is available in four trim levels: RX 350, RX 350 F Sport, RX 450h, and RX 450h F Sport.
What’s New for the 2016 Lexus RX?
The 2016 Lexus RX is heading into its fourth generation with quite a few changes. There’s more interior space; an upgraded design, both inside and out; and plenty of new safety features. A new rear-seat entertainment system is available as well. The RX 350 also packs a new engine.
2016 Lexus RX Photos:
2016 Lexus RX Exterior
The Lexus RX’s exterior is expressive to say the least. Unlike most of the Lexus lineup, with the exception of the small NX crossover, the RX is more daring. The front end looks similar to the rest of the Lexus lineup but similarities end there. A complex series of lines flows across the side from front to rear and the roofline arches just enough.
2016 Lexus RX Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the RX 350
- Front fog lights, Power adjustable exterior mirrors with integrated turn signals and automatic tilt-down, Automatic on/off headlights, LED headlights, Rear spoiler, Rear window wiper, 18-inch alloy wheels, Daytime running lights
Exterior available on the RX 350 F Sport
- Roof rails, External mirror memory system, 20-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on the RX 450h
- Halogen headlights, 18-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on the RX 450h F Sport
- 20-inch alloy wheels
2016 Lexus RX Performance
There are two available engines in the Lexus RX line, both with front and all-wheel drive versions. The first of the two engines is the RX 350’s V6 that packs 295 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque. With a 0 to 60 mph time of 7.7 seconds, the eight-speed transmission shines.
The second powertrain is available in the RX 450h. Under the hood is a different version of the new V6 engine. This one packs 359 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque. Combined with the planetary drive system and twin-motor hybrid assistance, it acts as a real hybrid. There’s an entirely separate electric motor to drive the rear wheels when equipped with all-wheel drive.
2016 Lexus RX Efficiency
The 2016 Lexus RX packs a new V6 that’s more efficient than the last. The RX 350 earns an EPA-estimated 20 mpg city/28 mpg highway with front-wheel drive and 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway when equipped with all-wheel drive.
The RX 450h earns an EPA-estimated 31 city/30 highway with front-wheel drive and 30 city/28 highway mpg when equipped with all-wheel drive.
2016 Lexus RX Interior
The 2016 Lexus RX’s interior looks more normal, for lack of a better term, than the exterior. Precision was clearly at the forefront. The doors are similar to Lexus sport sedans and the dash flows horizontally. The colors are subtle, trim luxurious, and the overall sporty feel is more prominent than ever.
Interior available on the RX 350
- Interior Features: Smart Key System, Power windows, Cruise control, Tinted glass, Folding and reclining second-row seat, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Interior air filter, Rear privacy glass, Rear seat climate control vents, Leather-trimmed steering wheel, Keyless entry, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Multi-adjustable driver and front passenger power seats
- Radio and Technology: Nine speakers, Auxiliary input jack, Bluetooth, Satellite radio with 90-day trial subscription, Rearview camera, Hard disk drive audio storage
Interior available on the RX 350 F Sport
- Interior Features: Heated and ventilated front seats, Steering wheel position memory, Driver sear power memory system, Power moonroof, Automatic tilt away steering wheel, Leather-trimmed seats
- Radio and Technology: Navigation system, Voice-activated controls, DVD entertainment system, Parking distance sensors, 12 speakers
Interior available on the RX 450h
- Interior Features: Genuine wood interior trim
Interior available on the RX 450h F Sport
- Interior Features:Optional heated steering wheel
- Radio and Technology: Optional Mark Levinson® Audio
2016 Lexus RX Safety
The 2016 Lexus RX comes with a new safety suite that features primarily active systems. Dynamic radar cruise control, lane keep assist, lane departure alert, and intelligent high beam headlights are available as a group package with a lower cost than other luxury brands. Other safety options include rear cross-traffic alert and blind spot monitor.
Neither the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety nor the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has tested the redesigned Lexus RX crossover.
Standard Safety Features
- Front side airbags
- 4-wheel ABS brakes
- Height-adjustable front seat belts
- Panic button or alarm
- Rear seat side airbag
- Anti-theft protection
- Stability control
- Brake assist system
- Side head curtain airbag
- Tire pressure monitor
- Side-impact door beams
- Electronic traction control
- Engine immobilizer
- Front airbags
- Active headrests
- Front knee airbags