2017 Ford Focus Overview
The Ford Focus has long been a mainstay in the compact segment, thanks to its attractive styling, ease of handling, and affordable price. The 2017 model is no different; and, with sporty options like the Focus ST and Focus RS, this car is popular with budget-savvy students and performance-hungry drivers alike.
Compare: Check out the 2016 Focus
What’s New for the 2017 Ford Focus?
Ford introduced the Focus RS for the 2016 model year, which was a pretty big deal. Unsurprisingly, this means that the changes for 2017 are few and far between. The main difference between this and last year’s model is the fact that you can now pair the 1.0-liter three-cylinder turbo engine to an automatic gearbox, whereas before you would have been stuck with a manual.
2017 Ford Focus Photos:
2017 Ford Focus Exterior
As always, the 2017 Ford Focus is offered with two different body styles—sedan and hatchback. Depending on which body type and model you choose, your Focus can be as unassuming or as eye-catching as you want. However, if you’re interested in the ST, Electric, or RS, you’ll have to go with the hatchback option as these models are not available as sedans.
Features range from automatic headlights and 15-inch wheels in the entry-level S to dual exhaust and 19-inch painted alloy wheels in the RS hot hatch. Exterior color options include Kona Blue, Oxford White, Race Red, Stealth Gray, and White Gold.
2017 Ford Focus Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on S
- Variable Intermittent front wipers; Black grille with chrome trim; Black manual fold, power mirrors with integrated blind spot monitors; Black rocker moldings; Automatic quad-beam halogen headlamps; Easy Fuel® capless fuel filter; MacPherson strut independent front suspension; Control Blade® independent rear suspension with stabilizer bar; Active Grille Shutters; 15-inch steel wheels with Silver-painted covers
Exterior available on SE
- 16-inch Painted Aluminum wheels, Body-color door handles, Rear windshield wiper (standard on hatchback), Rear spoiler (standard on hatchback and optional on sedan), Body-color power mirrors with integrated spotter mirrors and turn signal indicators, 16-inch painted aluminum wheels
Exterior available on SEL
- Fog lamps, LED signature lighting with dedicated Daytime Running Lamps, Black headlamp bezels, Gloss Black fog lamp bezels, 17-inch Machined Aluminum wheels with black-painted pockets
Exterior available on Titanium
- Heated Mirrors, Black grille with chrome trim and bars, Chrome headlamp bezels, Chrome fog lamp bezels, Rear spoiler, Chrome beltline molding, Security Approach Lamps, SecuriCode® keyless entry keypad, 17-inch aluminum wheels
Exterior available on ST
- Unique ST front grille; Unique body-color rocker moldings; Unique ST fog lamps with Gloss Black bezels; High-mounted ST rear liftgate spoiler; MacPherson strut independent front sport-tuned suspension; ST center exhaust with dual bright tips; Chin spoiler; Unique 18-inch Rado Gray Premium-Painted aluminum wheels with Y-rated summer tires
Exterior available on Electric
- Heated Mirrors, Unique one-piece Piano Black grille, 120V convenience charge cord, Piano black with chrome accents, Black rocker moldings, HID automatic headlamps with LED signature lighting and cornering functionality, LED taillamps, Rear spoiler, Charge port with LED state-of-charge indicator, 17-inch 15-spoke Sparkle Silver-painted aluminum wheels, Tire inflator and sealant
Exterior available on RS
- Ford Performance All-Wheel Drive with Dynamic Torque Vectoring, Unique RS Driver Selectable Sport Suspension, Unique body color rocker moldings, Power body-color mirrors, Unique RS front fascia and grille, Unique RS black fog lamps, Unique RS high-mounted rear spoiler, Chin spoiler, Unique RS Front & Rear Disc Brakes with painted calipers with Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Unique RS Sport Exhaust with Dual Bright Tips, High-Mounted RS Rear Spoiler with RS logo, 19-inch Premium Painted Alloy Wheels
2017 Ford Focus Performance
If you like variety in your car choices, you’ll be thrilled to learn that the 2017 Ford Focus offers five engine choices. The standard engine on the S, SEL, and Titanium models is a 160-hp 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder motor that’s paired to either a five-speed manual, or six-speed PowerShift automatic transmission. This engine produces 146 lb-ft of torque. The SE model houses an efficient 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine under the hood, capable of producing 123 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque.
The Ford Focus ST is motivated by a 252-hp 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine with 270 lb-ft of torque, while its powerful sibling, the RS, boasts a 2.3-liter EcoBoost that pumps out an incredible 350 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. Both engines only come with a six-speed manual transmission. If performance matters to you, the RS is the way to go.
Finally, the Focus Electric comes with a permanent magnet electric traction motor that’s paired to a 33.5 kWh Lithium-ion, liquid cooled/heated battery. This engine is paired to a single-speed automatic transmission.
2017 Ford Focus Efficiency
As an entry-level compact sedan and hatchback, the 2017 Ford Focus is as efficient as expected. EPA-estimated efficiency ratings are as follows:
- The 2.0-liter I-4 engine, which is standard on S, SEL, and Titanium models, yields 25 mpg in the city, 34 mpg on the highway, and 31 mpg combined;
- The 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine from the Focus SE returns 30 mpg in the city, 40 mpg on the highway, and 34 mpg combined;
- The ST model’s 2.0-liter EcoBoost yields 22 mpg in the city, 30 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg combined;
- The 2.3-liter EcoBoost that powers the RS hatchback returns 19 mpg in the city, 25 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg combined;
- The electric motor yields 118 MPGe in the city, 96 MPGe on the highway, and 107 MPGe combined.
2017 Ford Focus Interior
As with the exterior, the inside of the 2017 Ford Focus can be as basic or as fancy as you like. Entry-level models come with cloth seats, remote keyless entry, and a rearview camera. Moving up the trim levels, you’ll find features like a power moonroof, leather-trimmed heated seats, remote start, and more.
In all Focus models, front leg room maxes out at 43.1 inches, and rear leg room at 33.2 inches, which is enough to be comfortable for all five passengers.
2017 Ford Focus Interior Photos:
Interior available on S
- Features: Full-floor center console with storage, cupholders, and USB ports; Rear coat hooks; Power door locks; Tilt and telescoping steering wheel with redundant audio controls; Power front windows with driver one-touch down and manual rear windows; Front 12V powerpoint; First and second row carpeted floor mats; Cloth seats with six-way manual passenger seat
- Radio and Technology: Remote Keyless Entry, Two smart charging USB ports, SYNC® Enhanced Voice Recognition Communication and Entertainment System, Rear view camera, MyKey®, Driver Configurable 4.2-inch Color LCD Display Cluster, AM/FM single-disc CD/MP3 player, Four speakers, Audio input jack, Speed-sensitive volume control, Hill Start Assist
Interior available on SE
- Features: Rear-seat heat ducts, Sun visors with illuminated mirrors, Power front and rear windows with driver one-touch-down, Rear 12V powerpoint, Floor console armrest and storage, Overhead console (standard on hatchback and optional on sedan), Illuminated entry, Map pockets behind driver and front-passenger seats, Removable rear package tray (Standard in hatchback), Four-way adjustable first-row head restraints, 60/40 split folding rear bench with flip up cushion (Standard in hatchback)
- Radio and Technology: Cruise Control, Message center with trip computer, Six speakers, SiriusXM® Radio
Interior available on SEL
- Features: Power moonroof, Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, Ambient lighting
- Radio and Technology: SYNC®3 Enhanced Voice Recognition and Communications System with eight-inch LCD capacitive touchscreen, Reverse Sensing System, Sony®-branded audio system with 10 speakers, HD Radio™, Perimeter alarm
Interior available on Titanium
- Features: Leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel, Power front and rear windows with all windows one-touch up and down, Rear armrest with storage, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Leather-trimmed front bucket seats with eight-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar, Heated front seats
- Radio and Technology: Intelligent Access with push-button start, Remote Start System, Message center with trip computer, Four-wheel disc anti-lock brake system
Interior available on ST
- Features: Leather-wrapped perforated, flat bottom steering wheel with ST badging; ST Leather-wrapped and alloy gear shift knob; Unique instrument panel finish; Unique ST scuff-plates; Aluminum pedals and shifter; Cloth front bucket seats with six-way manual driver’s seat and four-way manual passenger seat featuring embroidered front ST logo
- Radio and Technology: Analog mini cluster gauges including turbo boost pressure; SYNC® Enhanced Voice Recognition Communication and Entertainment System with 4.2-inch LCD display; AM/FM single-disc CD player, MP3 capable with six speakers, audio input jack, and speed-sensitive volume control
Interior available on Electric
- Features: Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Remote Cabin Preconditioning, Eco-conscious cloth seats with six-way manual driver and four-way manual passenger, Heated front seats, 60/40 split-folding rear seat with 2-way adjustable head restraints, Ambient lighting
- Radio and Technology: Brake Coach, SmartGauge® with EcoGuide instrument cluster, SYNC® 3 Enhanced Voice Recognition Communication and Entertainment System, Driver-Configurable two 4.2-inch Color LCD Display Unique EV Cluster, Regenerative Braking System, MyFord® Mobile App and Website, Sony® Audio system with nine speakers, HD Radio™, SYNC®3 with unique EV content, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, 6.6 kW Onboard Charger, Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link, Reverse Sensing System
Interior available on RS
- Features: Rear armrest with storage delete, Aluminum pedals and shifter, Unique RS Leather-wrapped steering wheel with sport style design and blue stitching, Unique RS Scuff Plates, Unique RS Leather-wrapped and Alloy Gear Shift Knob, 60/40 split-folding rear seat, RECARO®partial leather-trimmed front seats with RS logo, Unique RS first and second row carpeted floor mats
- Radio and Technology: Analog mini cluster gauges including turbo boost pressure, Unique instrument panel finish, SYNC® 3 Enhanced Voice Recognition Communication and Entertainment System, Sony® Audio system with 10 speakers
2017 Ford Focus Safety
As with all of Ford’s vehicles, safety is a top priority in the 2017 Focus. In government tests, the Focus earned a five-star overall rating, comprised of five stars in frontal and side crash tests, and four stars in rollover tests. This rating is thanks to a comprehensive suite of airbags, along with a myriad of other safety features which can be found in the list below.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-Lock Braking System
- Electronic Brake Assist
- Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS)
- Dual-stage front airbags
- Front-seat side-impact airbags
- Safety Canopy® side-curtain airbags (first and second row)
- Belt-Minder® front safety belt reminder
- Three-point safety belts at all seating positions
- Personal Safety System™
- Child safety door locks
- LATCH, Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Child safety seats
- AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control
- Driver’s knee airbag
Getting Rid of Your Car? Here’s why you should consider a trade-in