2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Overview
As you might infer from the name, the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is a compact SUV that provides a sporty alternative to the larger, calmer Mitsubishi Outlander. For most people who don’t have to transport more than four or five people, that already makes the Outlander Sport an interesting proposition; but the fact that it starts at nearly $4,000 less than the Outlander makes it an almost unavoidable one.
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is available in four trims: ES, SE, SEL, and GT.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport?
For the 2017 model year, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport gets a standard shark fin antenna, standard automatic climate control, and upgraded interior seat fabric on the ES trim. However, the ES is now no longer available with the 2.4-liter engine.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Exterior
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is one of the sharpest-looking SUVs on the market, taking several design cues from its Outlander big brother but without mimicking its slightly awkward, elongated face. The well-balanced proportions, aggressive stance, and strong lines give it an undoubtedly sporty look that is sure to turn heads at every corner. Throw in the new shark fin antenna for the 2017 model year and the sexy two-tone alloy wheels and there’s little to say about the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport’s exterior that isn’t positive.
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is available in the following exterior colors: Rally Red, Mercury Gray, Cool Silver, Octane Blue, Diamond White, Labrador Black, and Quartz Brown.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on ES:
- 18-inch two-tone aluminum alloy wheels, Halogen headlights, Rear LED combination LED combination tail lights, Color-keyed front bumper, Black front bumper under garnish, Heated power adjustable side-view mirrors, Shark fin antenna, Front windshield variable intermittent wipers, rear window intermittent wiper/washer with defroster, Rear privacy glass, 225/55R18 all-season tires, Rear spoiler
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- Fog lights
Exterior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Auto on/off headlights, Silver front bumper under garnish, Power folding side-view mirrors, Black roof rails, Chrome beltline molding, Front windshield variable rain-sensing wipers, Single exhaust outlet with chrome tip
Exterior available on GT (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- Super-wide High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Performance
All 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport models come with either front-wheel drive (FWD) or Mitsubishi’s patented All-Wheel Control (AWC) all-wheel-drive system, making it decently capable off the beaten path.
The base Outlander Sport ES is equipped with a 2.0-liter MIVEC DOHC 16-valve four-cylinder engine that makes 148 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque and is mated to five-speed manual on the FWD model or to a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) on the AWC model.
The SE, SEL, and GT models all get a CVT no matter the drive system, along with an upgraded 2.4-liter version of the engine that makes 168 hp and 167 lb-ft of torque.
The GT is only available with AWC and the SEL and GT come standard with Sportronic® steering wheel paddle shifters.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Efficiency
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport’s estimated fuel economy figures all vary depending on the engine, transmission, and drive system combination:
- 2.0-liter with FWD and 5MT: 23/29/25 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.0-liter with FWD and CVT: 24/30/27 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.0-liter with AWC and CVT: 23/29/26 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.4-liter with FWD and CVT: 23/28/25 mpg city/highway/combined
- 2.4-liter with AWC and CVT: 22/27/24 mpg city/highway/combined
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Interior
The changes to the ES trim’s seat fabric, combined with the standard leather-wrapped steering wheel and tasteful piano-black accents, give the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport a premium feel even without having to resort to ticking off the boxes in the options list. There’s plenty of space to get comfortable at the front though not quite as much at the rear, possibly because the Outlander Sport is a more driver-centric vehicle than the regular Outlander. Overall, the compact SUV offers excellent value for the money while rewarding those who have more to spend, like with the incredible 710-watt, nine-speaker Rockford-Fosgate sound system that seems to turn the whole interior into a music studio.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Interior Photos:
Interior available on ES:
- Features: Color LCD multi-information display, High-contrast meter gauge cluster, Dual-visor vanity mirrors, rear dome light, rear cargo area light, Fabric trimmed seating, Six-way manually adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way manually adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Automatic air conditioning climate control, Tilt & telescopic steering wheel, Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Chrome-plated interior door handles, Remote hood and fuel door release lever, ECO driver indicator light (CVT only)
- Radio and Technology: 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with 4 speakers; FUSE Hands-free Link System with Bluetooth technology, USB port, and steering wheel controls; Steering wheel audio controls; Remote keyless entry with panic feature; Cruise control; Day/night rearview mirror; 12-volt accessory outlets (x2); Center console box with armrest and cup holders
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- Features: Heated driver & front passenger seats, One-touch start/stop engine switch
- Radio and Technology: 6.1-inch Touch panel display audio system, 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month subscription, Digital HD Radio®, Rearview camera system, Dual-visor vanity mirrors with illumination
Interior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Features: Sportronic® steering wheel paddle shifters, Leather seating surfaces, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Leather wrapped parking brake handle, Aluminum pedals, Gloss black w/ silver accent audio panel, Auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ Homelink®, Center slide-adjustable armrest
- Radio and Technology: Same as ES
Interior available on GT (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- Features: Panoramic glass roof with adjustable LED mood lighting
- Radio and Technology: 710-watt Rockford-Fosgate® premium sound system
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Safety
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport comes with all of the usual passive and reactive safety features we expect to see in all vehicles, like ABS and traction control, but notably without any of the new active safety technologies that have taken over most of the rest of the automotive industry. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave it a four out of five star rating for overall safety while the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the Outlander Sport its highest rating of “Good” in four out of five of its crash tests. It was rated “Acceptable” in the small overlap front test.
Standard Safety Features
- Hill Start Assist
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
- Active Stability Control
- Traction Control Logic
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- 7 standard airbags including drivers knee airbag
- Advanced dual-stage front airbags with driver seat position sensors
- Height adjustable front shoulder belts with pretensioner
- Three-point seatbelts and head restraints for all seating positions
- LATCH child-safety-seat anchors & upper tethers
- Child-safety rear door locks
- Anti-theft security alarm system
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
- RISE body construction