2017 Volkswagen Beetle Overview (Plus Convertible!)
The Beetle, the Bug, the Slug Bug, the Ladybug, the Turtle, The Bubble… no matter what you call it, “The People’s Car” has become an iconic, unmistakable car around the world. With its plump body, wide fenders, and round headlights, the Volkswagen Beetle remains a pillar of the automaker’s lineup year after year.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Volkswagen Beetle?
For the most part, there are minimal design and feature differences between the 2016 and 2017 Volkswagen Beetle. On the outside, the newest Beetle gets more pronounced bumpers. The Dune version, which was released at the end of the 2016 M.Y., is now available on the convertible version of the Beetle.
This year, a fun new trim called #PinkBeetle is available, filling the spunky bug with pink color touches inside and out. Additionally, the new Classic trim brings back some of the old-fashioned touches that made the original iteration such a hit.
The 2017 Volkswagen Beetle and Beetle Convertible are available in seven trims: S, SE, SEL, Dune, #PinkBeetle, R-Line 2.0T, and Classic.
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Exterior
Nothing can match the magic and visual pizzazz of the VW Bug. Its rounded body has undergone slight alterations over the years, but it continues to remain an unmistakable design that’s as fun to look at as it is to drive. Its available body colors vary depending on the selected trim package, from hot pink to dark bronze metallic to bottle green metallic.
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Photos:
Exterior features on the 2017 Volkswagen Beetle
- S Trim: Sport-design front and rear bumpers, Rear spoiler, Rear logo-integrated hatch handle, Heated side mirrors, Automatic halogen headlights with Coming/Leaving Home feature, Daytime Running Lights, 16-inch Whirl alloy wheels,
- SE Trim: Side sills with chrome accents, Side-mirror-integrated turn signals, Heated windshield washer nozzles, 17-inch Philadelphia alloy wheels
- SEL Trim: 18-inch Disc alloy wheels, Power tilting/sliding panoramic sunroof
- Dune Trim: Dune front and rear bumpers, large rear spoiler, silver mirror caps, and black wheel arches and running boards; Rear logo-integrated hatch handle; Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals; Raised suspension and wider track; Halogen reflector lens foglights with low-speed corner-illuminating feature; LED taillights; 18-inch Canyon alloy wheels
- #PinkBeetle Trim: Sport-design front and rear bumpers, Rear spoiler, Black side sills with chrome accents, Rear logo-integrated hatch handle, Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Bi-Xenon high-intensity headlights with LED daytime running lights, LED license plate lighting, LED taillights, 17-inch Linas alloy wheels
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Performance
All configurations of the 2017 Volkswagen Beetle receive the same 1.8-liter inline four-cylinder, turbocharged/intercooled, FSI engine. It’s paired to a six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic, allowing drivers to essentially “switch gears,” as well as a Sport mode. That combination provides the 2017 Beetle with a maximum capability of 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. While not intended to be a performance vehicle by any means, the Beetle’s general handling and power are adequate.
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Efficiency
Considering all versions of the Beetle come with the same engine/transmission package, fuel efficiency is fairly consistent across the board. According to EPA estimates, which can vary with driving habits and conditions, the 2017 Beetle earns an average miles-per-gallon rate of 24 in the city, 33 on the highway, and 28 combined. The only scenarios that distinctly change the estimated mpg rate is the Dune version of the Beetle, which reduces efficiency to 24 mpg city/31 mpg highway; and the R-Line, which reduces the efficiency to 23 mpg city/33 mpg highway, due to their performance body enhancements.
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Interior
The inside of the Beetle is unusually spacious due to its unique round cabin. While its amenities aren’t necessarily top-of-the-line, its simplicity and accessibility make it a reliable and accommodating ride from behind the wheel. It’s recognized by Kelley Blue Book for its quiet and comfortable interior that sets it apart from its compact competitors.
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2017 Volkswagen Beetle
- S Trim: Climatic air-conditioning with pollen filter, Cruise control, Leather-wrapped Multi-function sporty steering wheel, Power windows with pinch protection, Cloth seating surfaces, Six-way manually adjustable front seats, 50/50-split folding rear seat, Gloss black dashboard and interior trim, Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Two 12V power outlets, Bluetooth® audio streaming, USB port, Touchscreen CD/AM/FM sound system with SD card reader, Eight speakers, Rearview camera
- SE Trim: Illuminated driver and passenger visor vanity mirrors; Heated front comfort seats; Driver’s seat adjustable lumbar support; V-Tex leatherette seating; Four-position, three-color ambient lighting; Käferfach heritage-inspired glovebox; Front and rear carpet floor mats; Exterior color-matched dashboard and interior trim, Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect™ and connected car suite, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (3-month trial), Toucscreen sound system with proximity sensor/HD Radio™/voice control
- SEL Trim: Keyless access with push-button start, Park Distance Control (Park Pilot), Fender® Premium Audio System with 8 speakers plus subwoofer, Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Traffic Alert
- Dune Trim: Dune seating surfaces with cloth inserts, V-Tex leatherette trim, and yellow piping; Adjustable front center armrest with storage compartment; Heated front seats; Driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar support; 50/50-split folding rear seat; Käferfach heritage-inspired glovebox; Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Park Distance Control (Park Pilot); Touchscreen sound system with proximity sensor, CD player, AM/FM/HD Radio™, SD memory card reader, and voice control; Eight speakers; SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month trial subscription; Rearview Camera System; Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect; Bluetooth® technology with audio streaming for compatible devices
- #PinkBeetle Trim: Keyless access with push-button start, Unique Pink Club cloth seating surfaces, Six-way manually-adjustable heated front seats, Driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar support, 50/50-split folding rear seat, Käferfach heritage-inspired glovebox, Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect; Touchscreen sound system with proximity sensor, CD player, AM/FM/HD Radio™, SD memory card reader, and voice control; SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month trial subscription; Eight speakers; USB port; Bluetooth® technology with audio streaming for compatible devices; Rearview Camera System
2017 Volkswagen Beetle Safety
According to the IIHS’ crashworthiness evaluation, the 2017 Beetle received top scores of “Good” in all categories except Small Overlap Front, giving the vehicle an overall “Good” score. Similarly, the Beetle received 4-out-of-5 scores for Frontal Crash and Rollover by the NHTSA but full 5-point ranks in Side Crash and the overall score.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Brake Override system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC), including Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution (EBD)
- Driver and front passenger front airbag supplemental restraint system, combined head/thorax side aitbag supplemental restraint
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
- Passenger Occupant Detection (PODS)
- Post-collision braking system
- Rearview camera
- Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.