2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Overview
Volkswagen makes well-engineered, robust vehicles, and the Tiguan crossover is no exception. Sharing the same platform as the VW Golf, this two-row seater is celebrating its 10-year production anniversary with a new generation–in Europe, at least. Sporting some much-needed updates to remain competitive in the global market, the latest Tiguan is a fine entry in the VW lineup and a smart choice for families.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan?
Only the European market receives the new Tiguan. Its redesign changes its body, making it 2.4 inches longer and 1.2 inches wider–slightly stretching its wheelbase–while shaving an inch off its height. The difference might not be too noticeable but it does give the crossover a more balanced, square stance–especially with its angled body lines.
In addition to enhancing the space inside, leather packages are now offered, as well as value-driven feature packages. Replacing the old R-Line and SE trims are the Wolfsburg and Sport Trims (respectively), the latter which possesses dozens of attractive new features. The base trim gets loads of standard options, from Volkswagen’s Composition Media infotainment system to Car-Net App-Connect technology.
While the American market doesn’t get the much-needed body redesign yet, US customers can still take advantage of the new trim packages.
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Exterior
The slight modifications to the European Tiguan’s body give it better handling and cabin room.
For US customers, the crossover’s carried-over design is still one of function over beauty. Its traditional appearance and customary design touches around the fenders, roof lines, and front grille reflect the utilitarianism the Tiguan–and most VW vehicles–are known for. The Tiguan’s available available body colors are also limited to black, blue, grey, and white.
The 2.0T–the single body style–is offered in six trim levels: S, S with 4MOTION, Wolfsburg, Wolfsburg with 4MOTION, SEL, and SEL with 4MOTION.
Exterior features available on the 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T S & 2.0T S with 4MOTION: Black window trim, Black roof rails, Electromechanical power steering with variable assistance and active return, Heated power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Heated windshield washer nozzles, Trailer hitch preparation (wiring, bumper, and cross bar with mounting plate), Heat-insulated glass, Power-assisted front vented disc brakes and rear solid disc brakes, Window diversity antenna, Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers, Automatic headlights with Coming/Leaving Home feature, Halogen headlights with clear, lightweight, chip-resistant polycarbonate lenses, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), 16″ Portland alloy wheels, 16″ all-season tires 215/65 R16
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T Wolfsburg & 2.0T Wolfsburg with 4MOTION: Chrome window trim, Chrome protective side moldings, 65% light-absorbing glass in rear side window and rear window, Silver roof rails, Electromechanical power steering with variable assistance and active return, Power tilting/sliding panoramic sunroof, 17″ Novara alloy wheels, 17″ all-season tires 235/55 R17
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T SEL & 2.0T SEL with 4MOTION: Heated side mirrors, power-folding, with memory and flood lighting, Sport suspension with independent front MacPherson struts, Bi-Xenon high-intensity headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), Halogen reflector lens foglights with low-speed corner-illuminating feature, LED license plate lighting, 19″ Savannah Matte Anthracite alloy wheels, 19″ all-season tires 255/40 R19 96H
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Performance
With all Tiguan variants getting the same 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission, performance among each trim level is the same: 200 horsepower and 207 lb-ft of torque. At least the transmission gets Tiptronic, Sport mode, and Dynamic Shift Program (DSP). Its total curb weight is between 3,400-3,700 pounds, while its towing capacity exceeds 2,000 pounds.
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Efficiency
For being a 5-seater crossover with a subdued engine, the VW Tiguan achieves only moderate fuel efficiency numbers: 22 mpg combined (20 city and 24 highway) with front-wheel drive and a dip to 21 mpg combined with 4MOTION all-wheel drive.
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Interior
All trim versions of the Tiguan receive plenty of cool tech inside the cabin, starting with the base S trim. These cover everything from temperature controls to hi-tech mirrors to plenty of storage. This makes up for the small cargo space in the back of the Tiguan, at least. Five passengers fit in the Tiguan, with the fold-down back seats extending the 23 cubic feet of storage up to 51.
Premium seat materials in the cabin improve its appeal, though many of its plastic dashboard and door segments still feel utilitarian.
Interior features available on the 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T S & 2.0T S with 4MOTION: Blinker control stalk with lane change feature, Climatic manual single-zone climate control with pollen filter and rear passenger ventilation in center console, Cruise control, Height-adjustable and telescoping steering column, Multi-function leather-wrapped steering wheel, Multi-function trip computer, Electric parking brake, Carpeted cargo area with compartment light/tie-down hooks/cargo cover, Self-dimming rearview mirror with on/off switch, Illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Sunglasses holder, Outside temperature display, Three 12V power outlets, Keyless access with push-button start, 2 radio-frequency remote transmitter key fobs,V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces, Adjustable font center armrest with storage compartment, Heated front seats and windshield washer nozzles, 8-way adjustable front seats including lumbar and power-reclining driver’s seat, Fold-flat front passenger seat, Front seatback storage pockets, 40/20/40-split folding rear seat with sliding bench adjustment and rear center armrest with 2 cupholders, Volkswagen Car-Net App-Connect, Bluetooth technology with audio streaming for compatible devices, Rearview Camera System, USB port, Touchscreen sound system with proximity sensor/CD player/AM/FM/HD Radio/ SD memory card reader, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription, 8 speakers, Anthracite Metallic interior trim, Leather-wrapped shift knob with chrome accents, V-Tex leatherette door trim with front and rear door storage pockets
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T Wolfsburg & 2.0T Wolfsburg with 4MOTION: 12-way power-adjustable driver’s seat including 4-way power lumbar and power-reclining passenger seat, Volkswagen Car-Net connected car suite,
- 2017 VW Tiguan 2.0T SEL & 2.0T SEL with 4MOTION: Front and rear carpet floor mats, Leather seating surfaces, Fender Premium Audio System with 8 speakers plus subwoofer
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Safety
Safety options on the latest US-version Tiguan are limited, with not many of the intuitive driver assistance features offered by competitors. Crash scores are moderate, with the 2017 Tiguan earning a four-star score from the NHTSA, scoring low on the front barrier impacts but highly on the side barrier impacts.
IIHS ratings reflect similar results, with the highest “Good” scores going to all impact tests except a low “Marginal” score for the Small Overlap Front Test.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Brake disc drying feature
- Brake override system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC), including Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution (EBD)
- Engine Braking Assist (EBA)
- Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Trailer roll stability program
- Anti-intrusion side door beams
- Automatic Locking Retractors (ALR)
- Driver and front passenger, front and side thorax airbag supplemental restraint system
- Crash-optimized front end
- Crash-optimized pedal controls
- Side Curtain Protection® head airbags, front and rear
- Front safety belts, height-adjustable, with pretensioners and load limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child seat anchor points
- Passenger Occupant Detection (PODS)
- Reinforced safety cage construction
- Safety belt Emergency Locking Retractors (ELR) for all seating positions
- Steering wheel, deformable/collapsible upon impact
- 3-point safety belts for all seating positions
- Child safety locks on rear doors
- Anti-theft alarm system with Immobilizer theft-deterrent system
- Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)