2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Overview
The Mitsubishi Outlander is the brand’s largest SUV, offering drivers three rows of seating and some of the brand’s best features. It has also long been one of Mitsubishi’s most popular vehicles as driver tastes have moved to SUVs.
Smart Choices: What exactly is the most efficient way to use your A/C?
What’s New for the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander?
For 2019, the Outlander got a good-length list of updates. To start with, Mitsubishi performed a few exterior tweaks, including a new headlight design, a new front fascia, new lower bumper skid plate, and new 18-inch allow wheels. In addition, the Outlander received a number of suspension and other mechanical changes to improve the driving experience and ride comfort.
Inside, the new features were much more extensive. Changes for all trims included redesigned front seats, new window switch illumination, a new electric parking brake with Auto Hold, improved interior panel and door-trim accents, new rear air vents, a quieter cabin, and a new S-AWC graphic display.
Finally, Mitsubishi dropped the Outlander’s spare tire in favor of a lighter tire repair kit.
Mitsubishi also added some features to specific trims. Here is a list of these updates:
- Available premium leather‐appointed seats (SEL, GT)
- Combination soft‐touch seats (SE)
- Power driver and passenger seats (SE, SEL, GT)
- Rear USB Port (SE, SEL, GT)
The 2019 Outlander is the largest SUV in the Mitsubishi lineup, the only model large enough to offer three rows of seating. Its new looks bring it closer to the looks of the newest addition to the lineup, the Eclipse Cross.
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander ES
- 18-inch two-tone alloy wheels, Halogen headlights, Auto off headlights, LED daytime running lights, LED rear combination taillights, Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, Front bumper silver accents, Color-keyed outside door handles, Chrome grille accents, Back side-view mirrors, Heated power side-view mirrors, Front windshield variable intermittent wipers, Rear window intermittent wiper/washer with defroster, Rear privacy glass, Roof carrier plug-in accommodation, Shark fin antenna, Wheel arch moldings
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SE
- Fog lights, Color-keyed folding side-view mirrors with turn indicators, SE badge
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
- Auto on/off headlights, Chrome beltline molding, Power folding side-view mirrors, Front windshield rain-sensing wipers, Silver roof rails, SEL badge
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander GT
- LED high and low beam headlights, LED fog lights, Power glass sunroof with sunshade and tilt feature, Windshield wiper de-icer, GT badge
The 2019 Outlander gets its power from one of two engines. The first, standard option is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 166 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. The second, standard only on the range-topping GT model, is a 3.0-liter V6, which produces 224 horsepower and 215 lb-ft of torque.
All the trims but the GT come in either two-wheel drive or with Mitsubishi’s Super All-Wheel Control all-wheel drive system. The GT only comes with S-AWC.
In 2019 Outlander models with 2.4-liter engines and two-wheel drive, the SUV makes 25 mpg in the city, 30 mpg on the highway, and 27 mpg combined. With the S-AWC all-wheel drive, it drops very slightly to 24 mpg in the city, 29 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined.
With the 3.0-liter V6 (which only comes with S-AWC), the efficiency figures become 20 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 22 mpg combined.
The 2019 Outlander offers enough seating for seven passengers in three rows, the most of any Mitsubishi vehicle. It also has some surprisingly premium features as standard equipment, including heated front seats and dual-zone automatic climate control.
Interior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander ES
- High-contrast meters, Dual-visor vanity mirrors with illumination, Front map lights, Front courtesy floor lights, Center dome light, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats with slide and reclining adjustments (second row), 50/50 flat fold-down third row seats, Seven-passenger seating, Fabric seating surfaces, Front passenger seat back pocket, Heated front seats, Urethane steering wheel, Tilt and telescopic steering wheel, Gloss black floor console, Gloss black instrument panel accents, Gloss black audio panel, Soft-touch upper instrument panel and door trim, Chrome-plated inner door handles, Remote hood and fuel door release lever, Steering wheel audio controls, Steering wheel phone controls, ECO indicator light, Eco drive mode switch, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Micron air filtration, Rear seat air vents, Rear heater floor ducts, Power door locks, Power windows with driver controlled auto up/down for all windows, Illuminated power window switches, Floor console box with armrest, Door panel storage pockets with bottle holder, Rear seat center armrest with cupholders, Third row cupholder and storage space, Underfloor cargo area storage, Cargo tie-down hooks, Retractable assist grips, Coat hanger, Sunglass holder (n/a with sunroof), Electric parking brake with auto hold
- 7.0-inch touch-panel display audio system, Digital HD Radio®, AM/FM audio system, Six speakers, Bluetooth® wireless technology, Front USB port, Remote keyless entry with panic feature, Cruise Control, Two 12-volt power outlets
Interior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SE
- Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Eight-way power adjustable passenger seat, Combination soft-touch seating surfaces, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Soft pad door armrest and trim panel insert, Steering wheel voice controls
- 7.0-inch Smartphone Link Display Audio System, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month subscription, Rear USB port, FAST-Key passive entry system with push button start and panic feature
Interior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
- Leather appointed seats, Driver’s seat back pocket, Silver painted instrument panel accents, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink®, Power remote tailgate
- Blind Spot Warning with Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Interior features available on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander GT
- LCD color multi-information display with S-AWC distribution array, Heated steering wheel, Drive mode selector
- 710W Rockford-Fosgate® premium audio system with nine speakers, Multi-view camera system
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave the 2019 Outlander top ratings when equipped with all-wheel drive with five out of five stars. With front-wheel drive, though, the NHTSA only gives it four out of five. The IIHS has not yet rated the 2019 model, but named the 2018 Outlander as a Top Safety Pick.
Standard Safety Features on the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Four-wheel, four-channel, four-sensors with Electronic Brake-force Distribution and Brake Assist
- Tire repair kit
- Rearview camera
- Hill Start Assist
- Active Stability Control
- Traction Control Logic
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Side curtain airbags
- Front seat-mounted side airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Advanced dual-stage front airbags
- Three-point seatbelts and head restraints for all seating positions
- Adjustable front shoulder belts with pretensioner
- LATCH child-restraint system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
- RISE body construction