Mitsubishi Signs the United Nations Global Compact
Corporate responsibility has always been a staple of the Mitsubishi brand. Now the Japanese automaker is cementing its commitment to this ideal through a new initiative.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation recently signed the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC).
Giving Back to Those Who Sacrifice So Much: Mitsubishi Military Rebate
The UNGC is an United Nations-run initiative that companies from around the world can voluntarily participate in. Those companies that do participate in the program pledge to exercise corporate responsibility and help pave the way toward a more sustainable society.
The UNGC is divided into 10 principles. Those principles in turn are categorized under four categories: human rights, labour, environment, and anti-corruption.
The 10 principles are as follows:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
Lending a Helping Hand: Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance
Mitsubishi was not alone in its commitment to this U.N.-run program. Mitsubishi joined the Global Compact Network Japan, a group comprised of other companies from Mitsubishi’s home country that signed the pledge.
With Mitsubishi working to introduce more efficient vehicles and create better working environments, this is just another way for Mitsubishi to demonstrate its commitment to these causes.