2017 Mazda CX-5 Overview
Among all of Mazda’s vehicles, the CX-5 is king. Boasting a fresh, complete redesign for 2017 and the most sales of any Mazda in North America, the CX-5 stands as the pinnacle of the brand’s engineering.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Mazda CX-5?
Everything. For this model year, the CX-5 was overhauled, giving it a fresh new look, some very slightly altered dimensions, an updated interior, and some small changes to the powertrain choices.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
The exterior has received a new face, with an entirely different front end featuring the brand’s new “signature wing,” a forward-jutting hood, and longer, thinner headlights. The remake brings the CX-5 into line with the rest of the brand, giving it a look similar to the previously-redesigned CX-9. The slightly altered dimensions are a slightly wider tread (by a little more than a third of an inch), a slight rearward movement of the A pillars (by about one and a third inches), and a slightly lowered beltline. For color choices, the CX-5 comes in seven total colors, including: four shades of black, gray and white, with Snowflake White Pearl Mica, Machine Gray Metallic, Sonic Silver Metallic, and Jet Black Mica; two shades of blue, with Deep Crystal Blue Mica and Eternal Blue Mica; and the brand’s signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- LED headlights, Daytime running lights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Rear roof spoiler, Dual exhaust outlets with bright finish, 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/65 R17 all-season tires
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- Rear privacy glass, LED headlights with auto-leveling
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- Power liftgate, 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55 R19 all-season tires, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Adaptive front-lighting System, LED Signature combination taillights, LED fog lights, LED Signature Daytime running lights, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®
2017 Mazda CX-5 Performance
The CX-5 comes powered by a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder engine, which produces 187 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque. This comes coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission, and can either use a front-wheel drive configuration or Mazda’s i-ACTIV all-wheel drive. For 2017, the CX-5 comes with the new SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS, with G-Vectoring Control, which produces better performance going around corners.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Efficiency
As each CX-5 comes with the same engine and transmission, differences in fuel economy come down to whether the model uses front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. In front-wheel-drive models, the CX-5 delivers 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. With an all-wheel-drive model, this drops slightly to 23 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Interior
The CX-5’s interior was redesigned for 2017 as well, featuring strong horizontal lines to accentuate the broad interior space. In addition, the CX-5 comes with available heated rear seats (not only the front ones), which can recline for added comfort. These rear seats can also be folded flat for up to 59.6 total cubic feet of cargo room.
2017 Mazda CX-5 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- Tilt & telescopic steering column, 12-volt power outlets (1 front/1 cargo area), Six-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way manual adjustable front passenger seat, 40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback, Cloth-trimmed seats, Air conditioning with pollen filter, Power windows with driver’s one-touch down/up feature
- MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system, Infotainment system voice command, SMS text message audio delivery and reply, Rearview camera, AM/FM/MP3 audio system with automatic level control and four speakers, HD Radio™, Cruise control with steering-wheel-mounted controls
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- Dual covered illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Rear air conditioning vents, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped gear selector, Leatherette seats with Lux Suede® inserts, Six-way manual front passenger seat with seat height adjuster, Rear USB charging ports (2), Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, Heated front seats (3 levels)
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, AM/FM/MP3 audio system with automatic level control and six speakers
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- Leather-trimmed seats, Eight-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- High beam control, Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist, Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Bose® 10-speaker audio system with Centerpoint2® and AudioPilot2®, Mazda Navigation System
2017 Mazda CX-5 Safety
The CX-5 comes standard with the normal assortment of safety features, like stability control, a LATCH system for child seats, and a system of airbags (although this one in particular includes side-impact airbags and side-impact air curtains). More impressive are the more advanced, sensor-based systems, such as the standard Smart City Brake Support, or the available Radar Cruise Control, Traffic Sign Recognition, Adaptive Front Lighting, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring.
Standard Safety Features
- LATCH rear seat child-safety-seat anchors & upper tether anchors
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Smart City Brake Support
- Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Control System
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Cruise control with steering-wheel-mounted controls